Measuring shotgun legal barrel length

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loaded round

Hunter
I realize this is not a Ruger firearm question but I'm sure one of our astute members can answer my question. I just purchased a 28'' field barrel (no rib) for my Remington 1100 shotgun. I want to cut this barrel down to a legal 18 1/2'' length to use as a house gun with 00 buck. What is the correct way to measure barrel length, from the face of the bolt to the barrel's muzzle or from the end of the chamber to the muzzle? I want this shotgun/barrel set up to be 100% legal if I ever need to use it defensively. Thanks guys.

Measure it from the face of the bolt to the end of the muzzle. Easiest way to do it is to put a wooden dowel rod down the muzzle until it stops. Mark the dowel where the muzzle is. This will give you the length. Then mark the dowel for the 18 1/2 inch length (I would go 18 3/4 just so there is no legal misinterpretation). Put the dowel beside the barrel and mark your cut from that.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
If possible, it seems better to replace a barrel than to cut one off. I think Law Enforcement frowns on "sawed-off" shotgun barrels, regardless of length. I cut the barrel down on an old Mossberg 500, later replaced it with a factory slug barrel. A home defense type short barrel is available for this gun, and is probably what I'd have on it now, if I had not put a muzzle loading barrel on it.

loaded round

Hunter
They can frown all they want as long as it is a legal length barrel.

mikewriter said:
If possible, it seems better to replace a barrel than to cut one off. I think Law Enforcement frowns on "sawed-off" shotgun barrels, regardless of length. I cut the barrel down on an old Mossberg 500, later replaced it with a factory slug barrel. A home defense type short barrel is available for this gun, and is probably what I'd have on it now, if I had not put a muzzle loading barrel on it.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Legal is legal. Cops don't make the law,they inforce it. That said, 20" is a great length for a SD shotgun and the length both of my Stoger coach guns came in. They are my CAS double guns and plenty handy at the 20" length.
Also,when talking Rem 1100 ,a 20" tube will give a little longer lag time for the action to function before the shot charge clears the muzzle and the pressure drops to zero . It may insure better function of the semi auto action and insure proper feeding. You don't want it to be unreliable.

edlmann

Blackhawk
FWIW, where to cut a vent-rib barrel:

ventribbarrelcutoffdiag.jpg

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Yes, cut on the blue line for the rib and cut the barrel 1/8" forward of that. Try to duplicate the factory treatment at the muzzle for a professional look.

pete44ru

Hunter
RoninPA said:
Measure it from the face of the bolt to the end of the muzzle. Easiest way to do it is to put a wooden dowel rod down the muzzle until it stops. Mark the dowel where the muzzle is. This will give you the length. Then mark the dowel for the 18 1/2 inch length (I would go 18 3/4 just so there is no legal misinterpretation). Put the dowel beside the barrel and mark your cut from that.

The legal minimum shotgun bbl length is 18"

Under the US National Firearms Act (NFA), it is illegal for a private citizen to possess a sawed-off modern smokeless powder shotgun (a shotgun with a barrel length shorter than 18 inches (46 cm) or an overall length shorter than 26 inches (66 cm)) (under U.S.C. Title II), without a tax-paid registration from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, requiring a background check and either a $200 or $5 tax for every transfer, depending upon the specific manufacturing circumstances of the particular sawed-off modern shotgun being transferred.

Latest posts