Old Model Blackhawk, a Sharps40 project or restore?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
So I picked up this old model Blackhawk .357 for a reasonable price. It came with a Qualite brass birdshead grip frame that is for a New Model (no it is not for sale..:D)

Anyway I was struggling with what to do with the project. One part of me wants to build something custom like what we have seen from Sharps40 ....the other side of me says restore the gun

It is a 1972 vintage

Here is what it looked like when I got it, rusty, but not too heavily pitted

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Which would you rather have when you get done, just another like new OM you might be afraid to shoot much or a custom built to your tastes that will be more fun to shoot and showoff?

I doubt the screw pattern on the 1860 Army grip frame will match the Ruger screw pattern. Have you tried it?

The birdshead can easily be adapted to the OM frame several ways. The easiest is using an empty 22 LR case to house the OM trigger return plunger and spring. You'll need the NM trigger spring retaining pin to hold the 22 case/spring in place.

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Which would you rather have when you get done, just another like new OM you might be afraid to shoot much or a custom built to your tastes that will be more fun to shoot and showoff?

I doubt the screw pattern on the 1860 Army grip frame will match the Ruger screw pattern. Have you tried it?

No I haven't, but Sharps40 has!

Sharps40

Buckeye
Weiner proof. Weiners buy guns and are so afraid to use em they stays locked up untouched and unused. For example...my merkel k3 is weinerproof, its gorgeous and scratched an accounts for deer each year and regular monthly practice...weiners hate me cause I use my tool!

Sharps40

Buckeye
Hondo44 said:

The birdshead can easily be adapted to the OM frame several ways. The easiest is using an empty 22 LR case to house the OM trigger return plunger and spring. You'll need the NM trigger spring retaining pin to hold the 22 case/spring in place.

See my 1860 Army Blackhawk thread for how to put the most pointable and perfect for normal size hands saa grip ever invented on to a blackhawk

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
OK I'll get this thread started....I decided to restore the gun. I had a near mint condition original alcoa aluminum grip frame to use and the pitting was only superficial, nothing I could not handle.

1st step was to figure out what parts I had and what parts I needed

I was able to trade a stainless new model base pin for a hammer strut, main spring along with the trigger spring and plunger.

The bag of screws was not complete, it was actually two sets of new model grip frame screws, since the I had two sets I was A-OK, I just ended up with two pivot lock screws (for a new model)

I needed a few more items, I found an old model ejector rod & spring on ebay

I also found these Ruger Old Army frame screws, they also fit the old model

Numrich Arms (Gun Parts Corp) supplied some other misc parts

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
blog posts with more detail

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2015/01/ruger-old-model-blackhawk-project-part-1.html

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2015/02/ruger-old-model-blackhawk-project-part-2.html

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2015/04/ruger-old-model-blackhawk-project-part-3.html

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
The process of collecting the parts taught me a lot about what parts interchange between the old model, New Models and the Old Army guns

A quick assembly to make sure the gun functions

I used some Speer practice ammo to test her out

r0EefUGl.jpg

Everything worked like it should...1st hurdle overcome

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
I tried to restore this aluminum ejector rod housing using the B-C Aluminum Black and it didn't work, maybe the solution was old or I did something wrong? I have never had much luck with this stuff

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
I stripped the old bluing and rust off with some B-C rust & bluing remover

I started with the top strap

A little file work and sanding and it looks like new

same for the sides of the frame

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
Then I started on the cylinder, I used Sharps40's technique.....I mounted the cylinder to a 1/4" bolt so I could chuck it up in my drill press

220 grit finish

and a finish polish with Krokus cloth

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
I polished some of the internal and small parts

I scored a mint condition steel Ejector Rod Housing on ebay (along with the screw and another ejector)

and fitted it to the frame, I had to remove some metal from the hole that the ERH fits into

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
Now that the metal was smooth and shiny it was time to start the bluing.....1st step is to clean and degrease the metal, every nook and cranny must be clean and free of oil and dirt

I am trying out Mark Lee's Express Blue #1, it has some great reviews and it uses heat to speed up the rusting process taking hours instead of days to blue a gun. The stuff looks like racoon piss

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
I warmed the parts (150 degrees is recommended) using an electric heat gun

I then swabbed on the solution per the instructions, we got some good rusting right away

Then boiling for 10 minutes and carding the loose black oxide with de-greased 0000 steel wool