Trigger pin help please. Super blackhawk hunter.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
So I watched the Ruger take down video on youtube the other day. He uses a punch some how to hold the spring down. I was trying to take my super blackhawk hunter apart today and can not figure out how to hold the spring down and punch out the pin. Any pointers for this? Need to change the hammer.
The manual show a screwdriver being used but is not very detailed.

Thanks in advance,

Flash

Buckeye
The pin has a relieved area for the spring to rest in which captures the pin after assembly. Holding the frame upside down, the exposed leaf of the spring is the one to be pressed down, but the spring must be at rest in it's normal position to allow it to compress away from the pin. I modified a cheap "C" clamp to use as a third hand to compress the spring. In general, it's an easy task once you figure out how it's done.

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
I also altered a small 1" C-clamp to use as a third hand.

Another view...

You need to just push & be able to hold the spring down in order to slip the pin into its spot....
Once you get the hang of it, working on others will be fun!

Hope this helps you. :)

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Brownells sells a special little clamp to do that job. Quite expensive for what it is but it works well. I broke down and bought one a couple years ago. I would buy it again.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/takedown-tools/ruger-sa-gate-detent-spring-clamp-prod978.aspx

roylt

Hunter
This is great guys. Thanks so much. Looks like I have a project to do before I can do my project. HAHA.

I also double posted in the revolver section to hopefully get an answer faster last night.

Turned out I didn't need to remove this pin to simply change the hammer. Got my hammer swapped out last night and all is well.

I still plan to learn more about the trigger pin and do this at some point so thanks again.

roylt

Hunter
Being a single Dad I could use a 3rd hand more often but have not found how to grow one yet. My kids do help out but typically when working in my shop they just want to turn the radio on and play. A few more years though and my boy may get more interested. He is only 5.