Catch when I cock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

whiterook

Bearcat
I have a new model Blackhawk ser#46-074XX I just traded into it sight unseen, and now I know why I got such a good trade. When I go to cock it there seems to be a catch. Should I send it back to ruger or open it up and see if I can find the problem, or maybe even better yet is there anyone that's had he same problem

Doc Fillem

Bearcat
Check the cylinder pin, there is a spring-loaded plunger in the end that pushes the transfer bar back to prevent it from catching on the firing pin. Make sure the plunger moves freely, also make sure the cylinder pin is fully seated when you cock the gun.

contender

Ruger Guru
Also,,, pull the grips & check to see that the trigger return spring is hooked over both sides & not bent. I once bought a .357 Maximum CHEAP due to a homeboy trigger job. I replaced the trigger return spring with a new one & had a Maxi for under $250.

Dan in MI

Staff member
contender said:
Also,,, pull the grips & check to see that the trigger return spring is hooked over both sides & not bent. I once bought a .357 Maximum CHEAP due to a homeboy trigger job. I replaced the trigger return spring with a new one & had a Maxi for under $250.

This is a common issue. A quick test of this is will it cock with the bbl pointed up, but not pointed down.

Big Rack

Bearcat
I had one which would occasionally hang up and just had a rough place while cocking, turned out the clinder bolt had a pit right where the hammer plunger hit and the plunger was slightly bent. Polished the pit made a new plunger from a piece of a drill bit, runs great now.

whiterook

Bearcat
I found the problem. the pin and spring in the center cylinder rod is missing. Is there a reason that it would have come out, and do I have to replace it. Do I need to replace the whole rod? If I take out the bar can I still use my pistol?

bedrockfred

Blackhawk
whiterook, is the name and address in all your posts correct for you? I have a cylinder pin I can give to you if you would like one? I won't mail it until I hear from you. Bryan---bedrockfred

Latest posts