Mk.1 Target trigger help needed.......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dantforth

Blackhawk
I recently acquired a Mk.1 Target model. It is a lovely example except that I find the trigger pull a bit heavier than I expected. Are there any tricks or easy fixes? Could a simple cleaning and lubricating help? Are there any tutorials whoch could assist? Thanks, Dave

contender

Ruger Guru
Dave, of course I'd consider a good internal cleaning. That should always be a top priority on any purchase of a used gun. If that doesn't put it more to your liking, you can get easy to replace hammer & trigger assy's from Volquartsen that will make it "easier" to pull.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Contender, thanks for the advise. I have already done a complete and thorough cleaning as I do with every new purchase. I wondered about any special lube on the trigger components? I did use a very light oil when I was finished. I am hesitant to touch the sear or other trigger group components due to past experience.

If you are able to take it ALL apart, then basically check for any burrs and can polish "mating" parts lightly, or just put a bit of 'Lubriplate' what they put on new cam shafts in a rebuilt car engine, this on "moving parts" especially where the hammer notch and sear engage. On the semi autos, this engagement ( smoothness as well as depth) is the determining factor in "trigger pull".............I've seen (and done) as simple as a drop or two of Breakfree CLP, in this same area, and the triggerpull "lightens up"....lube, time and use makes things go smoother , in the long run.....one must remember when you start to swap parts, make changes, proper fitting has to take place....smoothest shooting RST-4 we ever saw was an early 1950 gun, shot THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of rounds, and NOTHING was ever done to it....tough to do today at the cost of 22 ammo!!

Dan in MI

Staff member
I have done a few trigger jobs on MK's. If you are not one for stoning your own hammers and sears the best thing (IMO) beyond what was said above is adding a pre-travel screw and properly adjusting it and the over travel screw.

Most people concentrate on trigger pull weight. Weight is rarely the issue if it is within a reasonable range. It needs to be clean. NO grinding, crunching, sliding or any other movement before it breaks. Proper pre and post trigger travel can cure many of those ills and time will slick up the rest.

Latest posts