New Model 44 special cylinder will fit an old model flattop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Just received a Ruger 44 special cylinder I purchased on eBay. I can fit it to one of my new model Blackhawks but wanted some of you to know it fits and times perfectly with one of my old model 44 flattops. The distance from end of the barrel to cylinder is bigger than I like, but shooting will tell if there are unknown or unforeseen problems.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I find that interesting as I thought the Flattop frame was smaller like the New Vaquero and I assumed the cylinder would be smaller also. Have you checked the chamber/bore alignment? :D

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
I think the new model 44 specials, 45 acps etc are similar in size to the old models. Chamber bore alignment is dead on.

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Interesting follow up to my story. I anticipated arrival of my new 44 special cylinder knowing I had enough 44 magnums to make it fit....Especially if it was to long. Cylinder arrives looks exactly like it is supposed to....quickly fitted it to an old flattop...looked down the bore with bright light everything appeared to correctly line up. Grabbed some 44 special light loads with cast bullets and headed for the range. Loaded and quickly fired five rounds..minimum recoil, easy extraction, except the cases were smeared with lead. I don't like to admit it but it took several days to figure out I had purchased a 357/44 Bain and Davis cylinder so I was shooting cast bullets .429 through a .357 cylinder. Already owning a 357/44 B&D I opted to return the cylinder.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
charlies said:
Interesting follow up to my story. I anticipated arrival of my new 44 special cylinder knowing I had enough 44 magnums to make it fit....Especially if it was to long. Cylinder arrives looks exactly like it is supposed to....quickly fitted it to an old flattop...looked down the bore with bright light everything appeared to correctly line up. Grabbed some 44 special light loads with cast bullets and headed for the range. Loaded and quickly fired five rounds..minimum recoil, easy extraction, except the cases were smeared with lead. I don't like to admit it but it took several days to figure out I had purchased a 357/44 Bain and Davis cylinder so I was shooting cast bullets .429 through a .357 cylinder. Already owning a 357/44 B&D I opted to return the cylinder.
I didn't know 44 specials would fit in a 357/44 Bain and Davis cylinder? So you squeezed a 44 caliber bullet through a .357" opening? WOW, I guess you did get some blow-back. I bet the accuracy wasn't all that great either.

That is about as odd as some un-named gun writer shooting 45 colt bullets through a 44 cal barrel because he installed the wrong cylinder in his gun. :roll:

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
Yes they fit in this one. Accuracy was abysmal and I felt really stupid when I realized what I had done. All I had to do was look at the front of the cylinder and I knew what was wrong. In my defense I was so excited to be getting a 44 special from a noted firearms supply house I just assumed it would work if I could fit it to a frame.

DGW1949

Hunter
There is so much danger in what the OP is putting forth that I don't even know where to start.....so....I'll just say this;
The title of the thread reads...."New Model 44 special cylinder will fit an old model flattop".
If you're trying to use a genuine Ruger cylinder, no it won't.
Yeah, it'll fit inside the (larger)frame opening...and yeah, the OM 44 base pin has the same diameter as the one for the smaller cylinder...and yeah, if you hold your mouth right, it might even rotate and lock into place when ya pull the hammer back....but...the chambers aint going to line up with the barrel because the center line of the chambers on Ruger's mid-frame 44 Spl is much different than is required for their big-frame OM "Flatop" .44 (or for that matter, ANY Ruger .44 Mag).

What I'm getting at is that just because it's a Ruger SA, that don't mean that one can begin swapping parts around nilly-willy.

You guys be carefull out there.

DGW

71shooter

Single-Sixer
I agree 100%! That is why I asked if he uses a range rod to check alignment. If he had done this basic step, he would have avoided almost hurting himself.

Don't beat yourself up, defecation occurs.

A few weeks ago there were several friends here at the house shooting, lots of hub-bub, etc. I grabbed my NM Vaquero 45 Colt, stoked it up and proceeded to fire offhand at my 50 yd. swinger which is not much of a problem to hit. Well, 5 misses later, as I'm knocking the empties out of the cylinder, I see why; I'd loaded .44 Specials in my 45 Colt! No danger, but the empties all looked like a pregnant Dachshund.

I also learned that the cylinder out of my NM Flat Top .44 Special fits perfectly in my NM Vaquero 45 Colt...and vice versa!. SO, I make sure to never have those two disassembled at the same time!