NM XR3 grips?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tellico

Buckeye
Has anyone found an aftermarket grip manufacturer that makes grips that fit on the NM XR3 GF? Not the custom makers where you have to send the frame to them. My new Blackhawk full size shipped with an XR3 grip frame. I am not calling Ruger. I am not sending it back. I will try grips and if that does not work I'll replace the GF with the proper XR3-red or Super in steel. The GF is just too small with the black plastic.
Thanks
Fred

DGW1949

Hunter
Not exactly sure what you're needing....but....
You might try Altamont....or Cary C.....or 41 Mag....or put a WTB ad in the classifieds.

DGW

Tellico

Buckeye
DGW1949 said:
Not exactly sure what you're needing....but....
You might try Altamont....or Cary C.....or 41 Mag....or put a WTB ad in the classifieds.

DGW

I have a hard time making things clear, but what I want here is a set of aftermarket grips that fit a NM XR3 grip frame as seen on the midframe Vaqueros and flat top Blackhawks. I bought a new .30 Carbine Blackhawk and it came with the little XR3 grip frame instead of the proper XR3-red. I don't want to spend a couple hundred on custom grips only to find the grip still too small for me. So far none of the aftermarket grips for the NM XR3 I have tried fit any better than Rugers original. You can look right through the grip frame and see the mainspring and strut clearly from either side right below the "ears". I just wondered if anyone has found a set from one or another Co. that fit right?
Thanks
Fred

DGW1949

Hunter
I'm no expert on all of Ruger's grip frames but it seems to me that regardless of how your grip frame is marked, what you got there is a XR3-RED grip frame design. I'm saying that for thee reasons:
1). Far as I know Ruger has never put an XR3 frip frame on a .30-Carbine model.
2). The main difference in their two "Blackhawk" grip frames is the distance between the front of the grip frame and the rear of the trigger gaurd, right below the "ears"...which is exactly where you're saying that yours exhibits it's gap.
3). I've heard other's say that some of the newer XR3-RED grip frames are actually marked XR3.

I suspect that if you contact one of the better known grip makers around here, they would be of great help in the matter.

Hope this helped somewhat.

DGW

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
That gripframe must be a mistake . Why not call Ruger, maybe they will replace the gripframe and grips on their dime?

...I was going to suggest buying an aluminum gripframe but that is just crazy for you to have to do with a new gun. :shock:

Aggie01

Blackhawk
If you have a steel NM XR3 grip frame, I would be interested in trading out a SBH dragoon frame. I also have grips, and all the internals for a swap if yours has the lock.

look at the grip frame ,with the grips OFF and see if there is a raised edge (ramp)?? at the top ,front edge of the frame this was a 'support' in their early castings, and the reason MOST Ruger grips are "notched" at the top ,front, on the NEWER ,anniversary type guns, this "raised" portion is NOT there, so NO "notch" in the grips panel, also, the locating pin was moved ,ever so slightly, so the early ,OLD model XR-3 grips are "close" but do NOT fit, without altering them, same goes for the "newer" anniversary (2005) grips style, you can modify them , (cut a notch and elongate the locating pin hole and they will work,,,yes, gets very confusing and as many folks are constantly "swapping" grips frames makes the matter even more confusing, as to just what is on the gun,,,,,I have to LOOK/SEE if the notch is there or not, the pin hole is in the right spot and the back of the grip is either 'flat' ( straight) or flaired out at the bottom..............then I can make an "educated" guess and try out whatever is handy.....we end up doing this almost every weekend at any given gun show for folks looking to 'find' the right grips to change on their guns...... :roll:

wish it was so simple as to say they are all the same????? OR, ONLY a couple of versions..... 8)

now go back and figure out the ones with and with out LOCKS :shock:

:wink: