Power Custom Kit: Dare I do it myself?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
Hey All,
I am not a totally unfamiliar with the internals of revolvers, and have experience as a machinist (using fine motor skills to work with tiny parts)......BUT....

Just got a NIB Vaq Birdshead, and a Power Custom Bisley hammer and trigger kit (hammer is not Bisley, but comes with the kit to mate up better with no mods), along with a modded transfer bar (allows for half cock).

The kit also comes with a reduced power trigger spring & 14 lb hammer spring (isn't that kind of light?) as well as a base pin latch extra power spring.

I would attempt this myself....IF, you all don't think I will need to adjust/work on the timing of the revolver (due to installation of this kit)

I cannot find any videos online......and the Power Custom directions are a blurry/messy photocopied sheet.

Perhaps I should just bring the whole shooting match to my local gunsmith.....and let him earn a couple bucks?

Any advice or words of encouragement for this scared man?
Any tips or special tools needed?

Thanks!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You will have no problem doing this yourself and timing is not an issue! You will not need to pay a gunsmith. Contact Power Custom and see if they'll e-mail you a readable copy of the instructions.

In the meantime, here's videos for disassembly and reassembly of the NM Rugers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfOXBa8K8Ow

NM Reassembly (shows hammer plunger assembly too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zEKDqwkgEs&feature=related

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
Hondo44,
You are such an upstanding forum member, and I appreciate you always being patient and encouraging to others!
I feel like I can attempt this, and should I get "stuck" along the line somewhere....you'll be there to help me get out of a bind!

Much good friend "sheepdog", who is currently in China, always has kind words to say about you, and I agree with him!

I'll post pics before/during/after, and give this a try mid week..... :?

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
Well......so much for "drop in" hammer kit!

For some reason, the back radius of my Bisley hammer is making contact with the grip frame, preventing the hammer from cocking/operating properly.

I brought the whole kit and kaboodle to my gunsmith, and he confirmed that.....the hammer is making contact with frame.

He is calling Power Custom people tomorrow, to check in with them before he grinds a few thousands from the back of the hammer.

If things get too complicated, I'll return the hammer for a different one.....

I'll update this thread as news becomes available, for those who might one day be installing the Power Custom kit.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Wheelyfun44,

Well I'm sorry to hear that, and I'm sure you were disappointed to find that issue. This may help you feel better about it. I have even installed different Ruger factory hammers in other Rugers that were unmodified with original grip frames and experienced the very same minor problem!

It's just a matter of slight manufacturing tolerance differences and is very unusual but not impossible even when changing factory parts. The good news is that it's a very simple fix; a few strokes of a file in the grip frame hammer slot. I would not have your gunsmith grind the hammer. I'm confident that the Power Custom CNC'd parts are within specs and have much closer and consistent measurements than the hand ground and polished Ruger grip frame. Plus it's dramatically easier to fix the grip frame slot which doesn't even show, than the back of the hammer!

I'm just really dismayed that this issue and unreadable instructions both had to happen to you on your first venture to improve your Ruger!

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
Well....my gunsmith talked to Power Customs today, and they told him to file the grip frame.
He will also need to work on the timing, he says.

I will be very happy when all is in place and I can shoot this new beauty!
Thanks for the support.

Wheelyfun44

Single-Sixer
Gunsmith has the grip frame filed down to where the hammer is fitting and functioning nicely.
He said he called and talked to Ron Powers himself, who advised him regarding common trouble spots.

The trigger pull is WAY light....my 'smith thinks it is 3 lbs or less. He was unsure if I would want it that light....but I'll take it!

He didn't even install the lighter main spring, as the trigger spring alone made things pretty light.

I love the half cock and the feel of the Bisley hammer and very nice action from this Power Customs kit.

The bolt is coming up a bit early (when trigger is around half cock) so my 'smith wants to tune that up before I get it back.

Overall, I think this revolver will be a winner!

Joe S.

Hunter
Wheelyfun44 said:
The bolt is coming up a bit early (when trigger is around half cock) so my 'smith wants to tune that up before I get it back.
How would one fix this problem? Longer pin on hammer?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
First if the PC hammer came with a new hammer plunger, I'd compare it to the original. If the same, I'd compare the hole in the hammer and retaining pin location to old hammer.

Yes, modified plunger:
RugerHammerPlunger_zpsd225ebb0.jpg

Joe S.

Hunter
Does it usually take much filing to keep the bolt down longer?

The super hammer i just bought has a higher hole than the factory hammer

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Joe S. said:
Does it usually take much filing to keep the bolt down longer?

The super hammer i just bought has a higher hole than the factory hammer

Joe,

PM me your e-mail and I'll send you the dimensions. It's a photo that I'm unable to post.

If it's a Ruger hammer, no worries. If a PC hammer, you should try it in the gun. They've always worked fine for me.

tek4260

Buckeye
In reference to the 14lb hammer spring. That is too light IMHO and the only reason they include it is for a lighter trigger pull to make you think you got a better trigger than the factory hammer and trigger provided.

With a bit of stoning, it isn't too hard to get a 2# trigger with a 26# hammer spring....