Flash Suppressed powders

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
Im getting ready to load up some 130 grain HSTs for 38 Special +p. What flash suppressed powders have yall had success with?

wwb

Hunter
Maybe showing my ignorance, but I've never heard of a "flash suppressed" powder.

In general terms, a small charge of a fast powder will minimize muzzle flash, and a larger charge of a slow powder will put on more of a fireworks show when they are both loaded to the same pressure.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
wwb said:
Maybe showing my ignorance, but I've never heard of a "flash suppressed" powder.

In general terms, a small charge of a fast powder will minimize muzzle flash, and a larger charge of a slow powder will put on more of a fireworks show when they are both loaded to the same pressure.

Here's one from Alliant: https://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/be-86.aspx

MZ5

Bearcat
Ramshot Silhouette is flash-suppressed. Does that work in the 38 Special?

If it was me, I'd call the powder vendors and ask them which of their suitable offerings are flash-suppressed, and work it from there.

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
I ended up speaking with a hodgen rep who suggested CFE Pistol as it is flash suppressed.

MZ5

Bearcat
MZ5 said:

FYI, I was mistaken about Silhouette. I had read that in a magazine some years ago, but Western Powders say that is incorrect. Only 11FS from Ramshot or Accurate have a flash suppressant in them. Others are low flash signature, which is not as low-flash as an acutal flash-suppressed powder.

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
I worked up some loads using CFE pistol. Im getting excellent results in both 38 +p and 357 (light mag load), using the 130 HST projectile. At 7 yards im getting excellent groups. Recoil is very mild in the heavy Smith 627 with almost no flash. Very happy

rangerbob

Buckeye
AA 11FS is flash suppressed as the name implies. Its burn rate is slower that AA #9, which puts it around LilGun or 300MP. That is way too slow for the 38 Special, but useful in the Magnum revolver rounds. Bob! :)

MZ5 said:
MZ5 said:

FYI, I was mistaken about Silhouette. I had read that in a magazine some years ago, but Western Powders say that is incorrect. Only BE-86 from Ramshot or Accurate have a flash suppressant in them. Others are low flash signature, which is not as low-flash as an acutal flash-suppressed powder.

BE-86 is a Alliant Powder

paul105

Single-Sixer
rangerbob said:
AA 11FS is flash suppressed as the name implies. Its burn rate is slower that AA #9, which puts it around LilGun or 300MP. That is way too slow for the 38 Special, but useful in the Magnum revolver rounds. Bob! :)

22.6 gr 11FS, 240gr JSP, 2 3/4" S&W M69

5%20ea%20A11FS_%202.75%20M69_%20Jeff%20Outside_Moment.jpg

Paul

MZ5

Bearcat
hard nose street cop said:
MZ5 said:
MZ5 said:

FYI, I was mistaken about Silhouette. I had read that in a magazine some years ago, but Western Powders say that is incorrect. Only 11FS from Ramshot or Accurate have a flash suppressant in them. Others are low flash signature, which is not as low-flash as an acutal flash-suppressed powder.

BE-86 is a Alliant Powder

Yes. I fixed it. Sorry for the confusion.

Rook

Blackhawk
American Pioneer Powder FFg is a good one. It's silenced to. Doesn't even make a noise when you shoot. :D