Ammo Storage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triker

Single-Sixer
Have attached garage. Insulated but not heated. Will get down to about freezing. Ok to store ammo there? Thanks. Triker

A little off topic, but thought I would share.
Grandfather worked on a Corps of Engineers dredge in Columbia River to Pacific. He passed in 1963.
Dad had a US military ammo can, the old guys on here remember the spam cans of ammo. It is a sealed metal can opened by a key type handle that twists the metal seal open.
Marked in yellow letters/number 1940 something, AP 3006 xx rounds.
Dad said Grandfather found several of these boxes in the dredge debris. Unknown what year. After Dad passed in 2010, I opened the only can left. Can was rusty,ammo was loaded into M-1 Grand clips was fine. I shot some and every round fired. Fearing the primers could be corrosive, I cleaned the rifle barrel right away. For those who do not know AP means armor perciering. I ended up pulling the bullets and loaded them into .308 cases to use for as bug out ammo for a AR-10.

Ron IL

Bearcat
I keep mine in the garage in ammo cans. Always works. A bunch was kept in a storage unit for 4 years while we lived in our motorhome. We sold it in the spring of 2018 and bought a house. Now it is in the garage. It all shoots just great. We had a couple of bad winters that didn't bother it at all.

Yup ammo cans for me also, but my cans are in the house where they are handi!
Use to have a discount store in town where I used to live in NH. Buy those ammo
cans for 5 bucks each, I stocked up wish I had another 20 tho. ps

RSIno1

Hunter
kmoore said:
For those who do not know AP means armor perciering. I ended up pulling the bullets and loaded them into .308 cases to use for as bug out ammo for a AR-10.
As a side note. The feds exempt the old 30-06 AP ammo from the AP laws. But those same bullets in any other 30 cal makes them armor piercing and subject to all the laws and regs. I loaded a few into my 300 Weatherby Mag just to see what they would do. Went through 1/2" mild steel at 50 yards.

From ATF website:
In 1986, ATF exempted 5.56 mm (.223) SS109 and M855 "green tip" ammunition containing a steel core. Similarly, in 1992, ATF exempted .30-06 M2AP cartridges.

I store ammo in non-working freezers in an unheated building w/o problems. I used a "Golden Rod" in each freezer to temper the temperature fluctuations. With the small amount of heat generated by the device coupled with the insulation of the freezer, it never gets as cold as outside temps nor does the temp change drastically/rapidly which is what causes condensation. Some of the powder and primers have withstood 6-7 winters in perfect condition.

RSIno1,
I pulled and loaded the bullets since the AP ban law was about handguns and ammo that can be fired in a handgun since it first became law, Oregon also adopted a similar same law. No AP ammo allowed for/in handguns to save cops.
Since nearly all rifle/hunting/target ammo will penetrate soft body armor. There is no ban to outlaw rifle AP ammo. Since than the AR handguns can shoot them and they are words to point to the 5.56 AP ammo. That's a different animal.

So, I just went to ATF web site on AP ammo and read through code 921a17c all 17 pages and see what may have changed. All I found was wording for handguns and ammo used or could be used in a handgun. The ATF article I use here is from 2015.
Page 15 and further on about page 16 they exempt 3006 M2AP since it is not available to be used in a handgun. I could not find any language to make it illegal to put a AP into a .308. Parts do talk about single shot handguns but also exempts or talks about the whole problem to ban AP ammo, to save cops lives. By allowing them in a CCW type gun. Was and is the reason for the 1896 law.
I also found Rocket FFL article on AP from 2018, it quotes the UC code I listed and repeats handguns and use in handguns. I will research further but at this point think there legal.
Can you point out words or pages in 921a17c that says different than my understanding or any other ATF law?
If so it will save me further research time at a subject I think I am OK.
Oregon 166.350 illegal AP ammo, FYI is All about handguns and ammo used in handguns. Even to the point "Not withstanding that the ammo (AP) can be used in a rifle." It jacks up the crime from misdemeanor to felony if possessed with intent or use in a felony crime.