How many grains of what is a 22 WMR load?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfee

Blackhawk
Just curious. Anyone ever weigh the charge? Make a guess at what powder it is?

Paul B

Hunter
No. But whatever powder they're using you'll never get. I'll say this much, it's a shiny ball type powder that is very fine in texture. That's for the one I pulled probably 15 or more years ago. Sorry, I did not weigh the charge.
Paul B.

wolfee

Blackhawk
Thanks. I suppose I could weigh an empty, fired case, then add 40 grains, then compare that to a loaded round to get the approximate charge weight.

mikld

Blackhawk
Most factory load powders are proprietary (can't get any for home reloading) and is sometimes blended to get the proper performance standard.m If I remember correctly the powder in a 22 WMR I was playing with looked like blank or firecracker powder; very fine powdery ball/dust (but that was many, many years ago)...

Flyover_Country

Bearcat
wolfee said:
Just curious. Anyone ever weigh the charge? Make a guess at what powder it is?

There is a firm selling a .22 rimfire reloading kit, and the writer of this article used it: https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018...mallest-223-the-22-winchester-magnum-rimfire/

The kit's maker uses a Lee Loader-type dipper system that has two sizes of scoop, one for each of two types of powder. One powder is 3.0 grains and the other is 2.0 grains, according to the article. The picture with the 3.0 grain powder load in the scale looks a lot like Unique.

Vihtavouri mentions that its 3N37 powder was originally developed for use in .22 rimfire cartridges. A poster on The High Road mentions (without a source) that the .17 HMR uses Lil' Gun. (https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/reloading-22-magnum.800064/) And another poster on that thread mentions that he had loaded 2.0 grains of Bullseye in a .22 WMR, and others discuss that they think HS-7 or Longshot is used in the .22 WMR.

I also gathered that while reloading rimfire cartridges is possible, it apparently is a very slow process fraught with a lot of failures to fire and very little load data. Most of the discussion essentially was "well, why not just use a 5.7x28/.22 Hornet/other small-cased centerfire .22 instead?"

Latest posts