Hornady 140 flex tips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have not been able to get any decent groups with this bullet and I see Hornady loads them slower than a 140XTP.
Has any one done any work with these bullets. I was looking at using them from a 10" 357 contender or 10" 357Max Contender .
I know this is the Ruger forum but most of us shoot more than one type of gun !

wwb

Hunter
As long as you're shooting them from a Contender, there's no reason to use them if they don't outperform some other bullet. The whole reason for the flex tip is to use them in a rifle with a tubular magazine.

I've used the 160s in a .30-30, and had 100 yard accuracy comparable to either 150 or 170 round nose bullets. Their advantage is that they have a better BC, and will carry more energy downrange as well as shooting a bit flatter than the 170s. Never having worried about anything past 150 yards, I can't speak for anything further than that.

contender

Ruger Guru
One reason they may not be performing well is the rifling twist, combined with the center of balance point, in the T/C. I kept trying a heavier bullet in my T/C 357 Max bbl,, (Hornady 200 grn Spire Pt,) and could not get the groups I felt it was capable of. When I'd switch to a 180 grn flat nose,, my groups were quite good. And I tried a LOT of different recipes with the 200's before I called T/C & got the twist & more info. You'd THINK it should work,, but sometimes,, certain designs do not match up with certain guns.