Berrys Bullets loading manual...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Has anybody looked at one of these? Does it have actual loading data in it? Does there seem to be a need to have one of these manuals? I find myself currently sorta addicted to the 125 grain plated bullets in .357.

wwb

Hunter
Depending on how you're loading them, the lighter bullets can result in flame-cutting of the topstrap. Takes a lot of rounds to do it, but if you're going to shoot a lot, I'd stick with 158s.

Yeah, this was the problem with the .357 Maximum. Turned out the cutting only progressed so far and wasn't really a safety hassle, but it's good to be aware of this. The real problem was the forcing cone erosion that developed.

All this was the result of guys attempting to create "lightning bolt" velocities in a chambering that had been designed to throw 158-grain (or heavier) bullets downrange at velocities that would guarantee the demise of steel silhouette critters without involving ridiculous pressures/velocities.

mikld

Blackhawk
Wow, very fast thread drift! I have not heard of a Berrys published manual, I'll check their site. No mention I can find. I have only used about 1,000 plated bullets and could not find reason to replace my cast with plated. I started with lead bullet data and on some calibers I worked up to approx. mid level jackets levels...

contender

Ruger Guru
Berry's bullets (for the most part) are plated unless otherwise marked as jacketed.

To my knowledge,, they do not have a manual.

Use cast lead bullet data in general & you should be fine.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
There us a "Reloading Guide" listed on the Berry website and for sale for $20. I have emailed Berry and asked if it contains actual loading data. I will let you know what they say if I get an answer. I would only want to buy it if it contains data I do not already have from somewhere else.
edit:

"Handloader's Manual 2012" copied from the Berrys website.

Probably not a Berrys manual? But just something they sell? I guess I jumped the gun.

Ya mean this?

https://www.berrysmfg.com/product/handloaders-manual-2012

"A great reference for a lot of Berry's Superior Plated Bullets® in pistol calibers, this manual has all instruction you need to get started in reloading."

I believe that's Patrick Sweeney's book from 2011. Not sure how much detailed info on Berry's bullets it contains. You can also find it on Amazon.

:wink:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Thank you very much for your post. Not only is it available on Amazon, there is a Kindle version. I now have the Kindle version on my computer and did a very quick look through. Instant gratification. There is some data for BB in at least 9mm and .38/357 mag. I will report back when I have time to look through this guide throughly.

Okay. Sunday afternoon scanning a hand loading guide and watching football.

There is a minimal amount of loading data for each caliber he lists. Some of the data is for Berry Bullets. Load charge and velocity, no pressure, in 6" barrels for the most part. Maybe of interest if one cares about the "Power Factor". The 9mm only has 147 grain BB. The data for the .357 BB HBWC that I wanted indicates that the loads and velocities are about what the Hodgdon site lists for the Hornady HBWC. So I guess I learned something. And I guess his loads are recommendations from a very experienced shooter so I expect them to be accurate combinations.

Flyover_Country

Bearcat
Ale-8(1) said:
Yeah, this was the problem with the .357 Maximum. Turned out the cutting only progressed so far and wasn't really a safety hassle, but it's good to be aware of this. The real problem was the forcing cone erosion that developed.

All this was the result of guys attempting to create "lightning bolt" velocities in a chambering that had been designed to throw 158-grain (or heavier) bullets downrange at velocities that would guarantee the demise of steel silhouette critters without involving ridiculous pressures/velocities.

The OP should be just fine with the plated 125s, assuming they shoot well in his revolver. Somebody shooting those plated bullets isn't going to be driving them at "lightning bolt" velocities as those bullets are supposed to be kept below 1250 fps. A 125 grain .357 bullet at 1250 fps is a .38 Special +P load out of a hunting or target revolver. A full-powered .357 Magnum 125 grain load out of such a revolver will be ~700 fps faster. The flame cutting with the .357 Maximum occurred when making maximum-performance loads with light bullets using large loads of slow-burning powder. The OP is going to be using far smaller charges of much faster-burning powders by comparison (Unique, WW231, Universal, and similar) to keep the bullets below 1250 fps. Flame cutting won't be an issue.

Flyover_Country said:
Somebody shooting those plated bullets isn't going to be driving them at "lightning bolt" velocities as those bullets are supposed to be kept below 1250 fps.

When someone asks for loading info, we cannot assume what he intends to do, nor what his loading experience is. Thus, it's prudent to offer up pertinent information for his benefit. What he does with that information is up to him.

:mrgreen:

Flyover_Country

Bearcat
Ale-8(1) said:
When someone asks for loading info, we cannot assume what he intends to do, nor what his loading experience is. Thus, it's prudent to offer up pertinent information for his benefit. What he does with that information is up to him.

:mrgreen:

That box of bullets has printed in large letters on the label: "Max. velocity 1250 fps." (See below.) Reloading requires significant attention to detail, as has been stressed in any and every reloading manual or book I have ever set eyes upon. If somebody wants to try to drive these bullets at 2000 fps and rip off the plating, causing terrible accuracy and barrel fouling, in the words of the lawyers, "they should have known better, they were very clearly warned."

IMG_1687.jpg

JStacy

Blackhawk
I use +P 38 spl loads or starting loads with mid range powder for the 125HP Berrys. I have shot the 124 9MM's at standard 9MM velocities and they function well. I have one load , for the 10" 357 Contender , that runs the 125's almost 1500 fps and shoots quite accurately. However that load , out of a revolver, strips part of the plating in the end of the chambers and shoots lousy. You can get away with things out of a single barrel that will not work in a revolver.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
For me the Sweeneys book was a good read. As Contender said, just use cast bullet data. And the loads shown in the manual pretty much prove that out. He lists Berrys Bullets for most of the calibers he loads so I guess that is why Berrys sells the book on their website.

Right now I am shooting my 125 BB with Trail Boss and I do not think flame cutting is a problem.

However, with the 158 grain bullets I can not get the velocity I want with Trail Boss.