Searching for 35 cal projectiles

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearBio

Buckeye
Tell you my TOP SECRET source but promise not to tell: It's called GOOGLE (shhhhhhh!)

I just checked Midway and they have what looked like 0ver 100 different bullets (assuming you want .358 diameter).

Don't tell anyone!

Enigma

Hunter
I also shoot the .35 Whelen, along with a couple of .25 rifles (Roberts and Weatherby). You typically will NOT find reloading components (or factory ammo) on the shelf locally. Midway, Grafs, and others are your best sources for components.

I have been using the 250gr norma made bullet since I had many. Shooting in a 358 norma. This year I tired out the barnes TTSX style bullets, they have polymer tip. 1st in .338 in a RUM 185 gr. They shot great, better than 210 and 250 gr Noslers. So, I tried the .358 200 gr. in the Norma. So far, I have fired around 30 rounds. They also shoot great. The target I kept, shot 2 rounds 1/2 inch at 100 yds. Than 2 more that opened the group to 1 inch side to side, just over 1/2 top to bottom group. On game, no reports yet. Son missed 2 elk.
In the .338 the 185gr. I shot 1 round it was a though/though shot in the elks ribs at angle behind the heart. It jumped, turned and fell dead. Around 75 yards, most bullets in that caliber might have preformed just as well with that shot.
A buddy got me on the Barnes TTSX bullets, he has recovered some while in Africa last year. Some were in a .338 win mag and some I think from his 9.3. They all held together and mushroomed great.
I was a die hard Nosler partition guy in the Elk hunting guns. The Barnes TTSX are as good or better with the results so far from my buddies recovered rounds.
I take it your looking for bullets not ammo, there are many. For hunting, make sure your buying bullets designed for the higher velocities. Not the 35 Remington. For example Speer makes a 180gr that will be OK for shooting paper not so good at large bodied game in the Whelen/ Norma cartridge speeds.

BearBio

Buckeye
I am a diehard Nosler fan! I've taken 3 elk, 2 of them BIG bulls (6x7, 7x8)==all went down with one shot and a kill shot. Distances up to 400 yards and big mulies up to 500 yards. 300 Win Mag and 338 Win Mag. Bullets were recovered with near perfect mushrooming from the off shoulder. My brother hunted Africa and used Barnes reloads for everything from wart hog to wildebeest. I guess the take home is: use a PREMIUM bullet!

Paul B

Hunter
Early on I played with the 250 gr. bullets as many claim they're the best thing in the .35 Whelen. I got drawn for a very hard to get deer tag years back and they requested the use of monometal bullets like the Barnes. So I gout two boxes of 225 gr. TSX, some RL15 and the Barnes manual which it turns out had no data for that powder. :x Lots of comments on the internet so I took the average of several max loads people liked, dropped back two grains and slowly worked back up. Ended up with a load that does 2710 FPS on average, shows no pressure signs and does .50" most of the time and has never done more that .75". 8) I've never looked elsewhere for that rifle since then. That load drops elk like the hammer of Thor.

On the other hand, I have two other rifles chambered to the Whelen and that load is too hot for the Remington 700 Classic and the Ruger tang safety gun appears to possibly have a headspace problem. I'm thinking of working up a load for the Classic using either the Nosler 225 gr. Partition or Accubond. It does shoot the 250 gr. Speer and both Hornady 250 gr. bullets into decent groups at about 2550 on average but I like the flatter trajectory of a 225 gr. bullet. If I can at least reach 2600 FPS or better with decent accuracy maybe I'll take it hunting.
Paul B.