How to seat primers...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Had a Lee hand seater. It broke. Bought a Lee bench primer seater. It just broke. Casting broke. Trying to decide whether to get Lee to replace it or just toss it. I have spilled a lot of primers trying to deal with those little plastic triangles. Have a RCBS hand seater. It works. But my hands are old and arthritic and I just do not use it easily. It works better for me sith the small primers. I was using the bench primer for the large primers. Is there anything out there that is made well and easy to use? Looking at the RCBS bench primer but do not like the idea of having to load the tubes. Have enough primers so I do not want to toss them and buy the strips. I guess I can just use the press but that is not my first choice.

NikA

Buckeye
Might not solve your problem, but RCBS makes (or maybe made) a tool for loading the primer strips.

Franklin Armory also makes a tool for filling the tubes.

I think Lee is the only bench tool available that uses a primer tray.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Slow, simple, reliable: a ram prime system (most of the mfrs have one.) Mounts on top of the press, and you must manually insert primer in the cup with the ram at the top of its stroke. Lower the ram, put the shell in the shell holder, raise the ram, and you're done. Lee's tool comes with a small and large primer cup, and is not adjustable (no need to be IME.) All of them work on the same principle, most if not all handle both primer sizes, some are adjustable for seating depth. I have one from C-H which is adjustable, but I've not used it yet.

Only problem I can think of besides lack of speed is you may find it easier to use forceps or very fine long nosed pliers to pick up the primers rather than using your fingers...

Rick C

blammer

Single-Sixer
If you are still considering a non-bench-mounted hand primer, the Franklin Arsenal Platinum hand primer's main body is metal with large, smooth primer handle. The tray is full-sized so you can fit a whole sleeve of primers under it and flip it over (not split like the Lee is). The tray cover totally slides on and off and is a bit tricky at first to line up the slots until you get used to it. Once loaded, just push the tray's primer-feeding slot into the primer body and it's very smooth to operate. It has adjustable primer depth-setting wheel, but I left it at its default and it seats just fine.

Not cheap, but very solid. Part of reason it's not cheap is that it has its own universal shell holders and all-metal large and small primer main body inserts. It's very smooth and easy on the hand. I have a Lyman hand primer that works well, but the Frankford is more solid and seems to have a little more leverage.

Lee used to have a life time warranty, I worn out 2 hand priming tools and got them replaced for free. I did give up on them and been using a RCBS hand primer since I purchased a .338 RUM and the lee primer holder could not fit the case.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Looked at the Lee websight. The "lifetime warranty" says they will charge half the retail price of the unit plus shipping to fix it. Plus I have to pay shipping to them. I tossed it. Somehow I got a shell in it so that the primer pusher was pushing slightly on the edge of the case instead of centered in the hole. so the primer arm seemed to hang up and I pushed enough to fracture the casting. But already the plastic primer guide was chipped and broken in several places. I also had bought the Lee holders supposed to feed primers to the press But it does not work on my Classic Press. Tossed them also. On a more positive note: I do like my new Lee Auto Drum powder measure. And I liked the Auto Disc that it replaced.
I do have a RCBS hand primer and will use that.

Skoopski

Single-Sixer
I second the Frankford Arsenal hand prime system. It's solidly built and with a large tray. Yes it is a bit more than others, but I feel it will be the last one I have to buy for a long, long time. If ever.

Enigma

Hunter
RCBS makes two versions of their priming tools - one that uses the infernal plastic strips, and one that doesn't. I refuse to buy into the plastic strips, personally.

mikld

Blackhawk
I have 3 Lee priming tools, including the new Bench Prime (I can load 100 primers in the tray and prime 100 cases non-stop) and haven't broken anything yet.

Several years ago I discovered a ram prime. Even though primers are loaded individually, it is the easiest, most positive priming tool I've found yet, including 3 different hand priming tools (Lee, Hornady and RCBS). I had two installed in a couple Lee turrets when I was using my Lee turret a lot. And I can't remember a FTF from a poorly seated primer in the 20 years I used a ram prime...

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys. I had not seen the Ram Prime. I looked at the RCBS bench primer and they are "on sale". I do not want another "thing" floating around the bench. So I ordered the RCBS Ram Prime. I will probably like it for what I do. I rarely load more than 100 at a time. Probably will use the RCBS priming tool for small primers and the Ram Prime for the few I load with the large primers.

mikld

Blackhawk
Even though I have a few different priming methods/tools I still occasionally use an old Pacific C press with my ram prime. I notice no difference priming large vs small primers. For me it can lapse into a "Zen" moment; quiet, smooth, easy priming, and I can get into a relaxing "flow"...

loaded round

Hunter
I have had the Frankford Arsenal hand primer for about 4 months now and am very pleased with it. Does an excellent job and I've had zero problems with it. I do highly recommend the Frankford Arsenal hand priming unit.

I've primed thousands and thousands of .223 cases using an old Forster bench priming tool. It worked well IF one got the little rotating discs that hold the case rim PERFECTLY aligned and IF the primer magazine tubes didn't get tweeked. I also used a LEE hand primer until the cam wore out and latest was an RCBS hand primer. I haven't primed any cases for 3 years since my hands have become so painful. It's just easier to satisfy my more limited shooting with factory loads.

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
I've always used a primer flipper tray and then picked up the primers with a tube feed. Attached the loaded tube to both an ancient Lyman Sparten C press and a Rock Chucker. Using them for 40+ years. Maybe they are out-of-date? :mrgreen:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I found this among some junk items at a gun show years ago and it still workes well. It is a Lee Auto Prime from some ancient era:

I like it.

Bob Wright