Compare 350 Legend with other Balistics

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I use to be able to bring up several different cartridges and their ballistics including, velocity, energy, bullet drop etc. from the Federal website but since they have upgraded their website it seems impossible to do that.

Does anybody have some comparisons for the 350 Legend to like 300 BO, 357 mag, 30-30 or even 308 Win? Got a website that works for comparisons.

Thank's in advance

rangerbob

Buckeye
Jimbo. try Hornady's website. They load all of those you mentioned and provide velocities and energy figures. Bob!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
rangerbob said:
Jimbo. try Hornady's website. They load all of those you mentioned and provide velocities and energy figures. Bob!
I have tried them and that site is just as confusing as the Federal site. It is very difficult to get side by side comparisons of two or more cartridges. In fact with the Hornady site you have to wait a long time for the whole cartridge page to load and then filter out the ones you want to look at.

I guess what I will do is take some screen shots of the various cartridges and then put them together myself onto a single page.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
It's pretty unique in its own catagory , of " Straight Wall , biggish bore, compatible with AR-15 " .

IF straight wall has legal significance where you hunt, the .350 is a sweet spot of power vs trajectory .

If straight wall per se is important , but single shot is ok , .357 Max has more velocity on tap . ( In the past , this had a vaccum of suitable bullets . The introduction of .350 will probably lead to new bullets also suitable for the Maximum in rifles .

Comparison to .30-30 opens up the 30 vs 35 debate . To compare apples to apples , the .350 has less ft lb than .35Rem ,but may have flatter trajectory .

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
What I find interesting about this new cartridge is that it is like a 357max and is available in the AR platform as well as the standard bolt-action platform. The cost of a Ruger American rifle or others in 350 LGND would make this more attractive than the 77-357 which I always thought was a little over-priced for what it was. I am also interested in the bullets, which are new also. I wonder if low cost .357 bullets can be used?

Of course I was all hep about the 300 Blackout also. I almost bought one in a bolt-action rifle but got a .308 instead.

gunzo

Buckeye
"To compare apples to apples the .350 has less ft. lb. than the .35 Rem, but may have better trajectory"

How can less be better in this instance? Yes, I'm easily confused.

gunzo

Buckeye
Dan in MI said:
The problem (IMO) is the Legend is spec'd out at .355 not .357.

What the heck? .355?

It would be interesting to say the least as to why that was done. A direct comparison between it & other 35's would be tricky, not being able to use the same bullets.

I'd read of folks sizing down bullets for the thing, but I didn't think much about it at the time. Really confusing now.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Dan in MI said:
The problem (IMO) is the Legend is spec'd out at .355 not .357.
Oh, that is really interesting, thank you. I guess they are going to have to make some new bullets for the round and that is really going to limit acceptance for sure.

Thanks to everyone else that posed information. :D

rangerbob

Buckeye
Hornady makes a 170 grain soft point specifically for it and WW offers both the 145 and 170 factory bullets. I have loaded the 180 Speer bullet sized to .356 ". The white box Winchester factory ammo is cheaper than either 300Blackout or 7.62x39, which all most negates reloading. Bob! :D

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
rangerbob said:
Hornady makes a 170 grain soft point specifically for it and WW offers both the 145 and 170 factory bullets. I have loaded the 180 Speer bullet sized to .356 ". The white box Winchester factory ammo is cheaper than either 300Blackout or 7.62x39, which all most negates reloading. Bob! :D
...and while you are shooting you can collect the brass for the future. I've done that with several other cartridges.

GooseGestapo

Bearcat
There is a lot of discussion on another forum over the .355" vs .357-8".
General agreement is that it's a .355". SAAMI drawings are labeled .355"- (+).003" which suggest you need to measure your bore.
Measured ammo shows Winchester using .355" bullets.

re: trajectory differences; the Legend uses more pointed bullets with higher ballistic coefficients for better trajectories.

I've used the Hornady 180gr SSP (discontinued) for years in the .35Rem. Hopefully the Legend will bring back this, and other similar l35bullets.

krw

Blackhawk
It will be a great hog round that can run in an AR platform. Outside of an AR, I see nothing it will do that existing cartridges cant do significantly better already

rangerbob

Buckeye
Rifles in 35 Remington and 358 Winchester are far and few in-between. Ammo in 350Legend is 2 to 3 times cheaper that either than the former two and readily available. The 358 Winchester, while much more powerful has fairly stout recoil in the few rifles available. The 350 Legend offers doable performance in either a bolt rifle or an AR with relatively inexpensive ammo and Ruger even offers an AR pistol in 350 and has just announced the Scout rifle in 350 Legend. Bob! :wink:

Flyover_Country

Bearcat
This is a cartridge developed for two very specific reasons. The main reason is that it fits in the "revolver-cartridge carbine and large-bore ex-blackpowder lever action cartridge" regulations established by some states that formerly prohibited deer hunting with anything except shotguns. With modern rifled-barreled "shotguns" generally shooting saboted 240-260 grain .44 or .45 caliber bullets at ~2000 fps, people shooting those same bullets at similar speeds from .44 Magnum and .454 Casull carbines wondered why they were not allowed to use their carbine. They eventually won that argument and in some states (not Iowa) rules were developed that allowed cartridges that were dimensionally similar to those cartridges to be used. The second is that the round is yet another larger-caliber round to try to make the extra-short action, moderate-pressure AR-15 into a sporting rifle since the standard .223 Remington chambering isn't all that great on game larger than a coyote.

The .350 Legend is essentially the equal of the .357 Maximum out of a rifle, but notably harder to reload as it is a headspace-on-the-mouth rimless cartridge. It performs a smidge better than the old .351 WSL cartridge (about 200 fps faster with 180 grain bullets) but about as much less than the .35 Remington loaded to SAAMI specs (~200 fps faster with a 180 grain bullet.) Generally the .35 Remington is used with 200 grain bullets (at 2100 fps) which are available but a reloader-only proposition for a 0.357" cartridge such as SAAMI calls the .350 Legend, but they aren't going to go 2100 fps in the .350 Legend since that's what the 180 grain bullets do.

I'd personally pass on this. If I wanted to shoot a .35, there are a number of much more suitable cartridges. You can go to most gun shops and buy a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington or order a Browning BLR in .358 Winchester or a Remington 7600 in .35 Whelen. Those are stock items and you'll get one within a week if not walk out with it that day as long as you are not in a goofy state with "waiting periods." You can also get a short-action magnum rifle rebarreled for .350 Remington Magnum, a short-action standard rifle rebarreled for .35 Remington or .358 Winchester, or a long-action rifle rebarreled for .35 Whelen by many gunsmiths. 0.358" diameter bullets are not as common as 158 grain 0.357" revolver bullets but are not rare, you can get them from several vendors in 180-250 grain weights in both jacketed and lead versions.

In a separate comment, I think the .35s are underappreciated. But, one can see why as they really only are "needed" to shoot moose and grizzly bears, game that is better hunted with rifles larger than .30 caliber. The largest game most will hunt are deer, which a typical .30-06 that most people can shoot reasonably well is far more than enough gun to cleanly kill elk, let alone a much smaller deer. Most will also think if a .30-06 will easily kill a deer or elk, why put up with the shorter range of the .358 Winchester for the same amount of recoil? Moose and grizzly bears would be good game for a .35 Whelen but the .338 Win Mag and .375 H&H are more popular and thus steal its thunder.

toysoldier

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
rangerbob said:
I have tried them and that site is just as confusing as the Federal site. It is very difficult to get side by side comparisons of two or more cartridges. In fact with the Hornady site you have to wait a long time for the whole cartridge page to load and then filter out the ones you want to look at.

I guess what I will do is take some screen shots of the various cartridges and then put them together myself onto a single page.

This is why reference books on a shelf are better than computer websites.