Fed up with Mixed Brass

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fa38

Bearcat
If I am going to load wadcutters I will sort the brass into wadcutter brass and other brass and use the other stuff for keith type bullets or roundnose bullets.

The wadcutter brass can be recognized by the double knurling on the case. It has thinner case walls down to where the base of the bullet goes.

Ron IL

Bearcat
I use double ended wadcutters and do pick up brass when I find it. Anymore if you find some it is once fired from new stuff and you will see a pile of 6-8 where they dumped them out. I shoot at clay birds on the 25 yard berm and mixed cases work just fine. I recently did a study on double ended wadcutters on where to crimp them. Some say on the end and some at the first groove. The bullet maker said he didn't think it mattered. I loaded all one brand of case with each powder load weighed to see what would happen. the ones crimped on the groove had a little more empty space in the case and was about 25 fps slower. So I put .3 more powder in those and got them up to the speed of the ones crimped on the end. Then the speed was almost identical and the accuracy the same. So the speed was the most important thing and not where you crimp it. They were both very accurate but hit slightly different on the target. When you load mixed cases you will get a variation of speed due to inside case capacity and the amount of crimp difference due to thin and thick cases. I did find out I was crimping too tight and backed it off some.