Rifle/Pistol Priming Tool

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loaded round

Hunter
I load large quantities of military 5.56 and .308 military cases with crimped primers. After resizing and swaging out the primer crimp ( with a Dillon tool), I like to prime these cases with either a bench mounted or hand priming tool. To cut to the chase, can anyone recommend a good priming tool, either hand held, or bench mounted? Presently using a Lyman hand held tool, and frankly It's a POS. I prefer to hand prime instead of using my loading tool's priming system.

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
I use the frankford arsenal perfect seat primer tool, and like it a lot, it is built like a tank, and is very smooth to operate, a little pricey, midway has them on sale from time to time .

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I have been using two RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool, one set up for small primers and the other for large primers. I really like them, especially for the fact that I don't have to change anything on them to change to different cartridges.

Chief 101

Hunter
I am using the bench mounted RCBS unit that has been in use for 40 yrs. I have replaced the spring and repainted it...it uses common shell holders, does small and large primers and has been used to prime at the least a couple hundred thousand cases, pistol and rifle. The handheld unit would not bode well for my arthritic hands. The bench mounted primer tools have real good feel for seating...not familiar with the handheld units...it has a bout a 60 round magazine.

375supermag

Blackhawk
Hi...
When I am loading on my RockChucker I always prime off press with an RCBS APS bench mounted priming tool that use primer strips.
I don't care for priming on press except when using a progressive.
I have primed tens of thousands of rounds on my APS tool.
My son prefers priming on his RockChucker but sometimes uses an RCBS hand priming tool. He really doesn't like loading the primer strips for the APS tool.

mikld

Blackhawk
While some will badmouth the name, I purchased a Lee Bench Prime a few months after they came out. I unpacked it an filled the tray and pried 60 cases (LP). I had 3 oops! which was too many so I reread the instructions, looked the tool over seeing how it works, solidly mounted and proceeded to stuff 100 primers in cases, non stop. I have since primed maybe 2,500 cases with very few, if any real problems, large and small primers, pistol and rifle, standard and magnum, CCI, Winchester, Wolf and Remington...

azleite

Single-Sixer
After wearing out a couple different Lee hand primers, I also purchased the Frankford Arsenal tool. I think this (kinda heavy) tank will last a really long time + it has adjustable seating depth-Dave

loaded round

Hunter
After several of you suggested the Frankford Arsenal reloading tool, I just ordered one last night. Expected delivery is Monday the 26th. Report will be posted next week. Have 150 sized and decrimped .223/5.56 cases to be primed.

loaded round

Hunter
First chance I had to use my new Frankford Arsenal priming tool this afternoon. After I read the instructions twice and ran two sample cases through to set the primer depth, I proceeded to prime my remaining 148 cases. Great tool, sturdy, well made, and absolutely no trouble with it's operation. I highly recommend this tool! Now if I can dump that POS Lyman hand tool...

loaded round

Hunter
First chance I had to use my new Frankford Arsenal priming tool this afternoon. After I read the instructions twice and ran two sample cases through to set the primer depth, I proceeded to prime my remaining 148 cases. Great tool, sturdy, well made, and absolutely no trouble with it's operation. I highly recommend this tool! Now if I can dump that POS Lyman hand tool...

loaded round

Hunter

loaded round

Hunter

loaded round

Hunter

loaded round

Hunter

loaded round

Hunter

loaded round

Hunter

loaded round

Hunter