Light 357 load

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Moey

Bearcat
I have 1000 125gr XTP's and need a light "wife" load for her SP101

Moey

Bearcat
Don't want the crud build up from the 38's and have not been able to get an accurate combo. So I am wanting to use 357 brass and hope for improvement in accuracy.

Easy tip, I learned back in the day. Use a drill and attach a cleaning rod and brush. The brush needs to be for .40 cal or even 410 shotgun. Run it through the cylinder. Cleans them out like unfired/new quick. A modern cordless variable speed works best. A 357 load of any type, having improved accuracy over a .38 spl. Try it and let us know how it works out. There could be match shooters out there who use a 357 over a 38 but I really doubt it. When you need the power of the 357, no 38 will beat that. But, for accuracy reasons? I am not buying that when we are talking about normal range/distance one would be using that gun for.

What's your velocity goal with the 125 grain? To me a 'light" load in 357 with a 125 grain bullet would be +/- 1200 FPS in a 4" barrel (versus 1400 FPS for a full load).

Once you establish that, most loading manuals have starting and max loads with various powders that will let you get into the ballpark. If you have a chronograph or access to one you can dial it in.

Rclark

Hunter
Just load medium .38 Special to +P .38 Special power loads in your .357 brass and see what you like. I don't shoot .38s or have any on hand. I reload. Since I reload, I can load my .357 cartridges from 700-1400fps out of a 6 1/2" barrel (125g or 158g bullets) if I wish. I don't go for 'heavy' .357, so I keep under 1100fps. Most of favorite loads around around ~1050fps. Who wants the blast and noise anyway. What you hit is what matters :) .

I don't shoot Jacketed bullets in any of my Single Actions, but looking at the Hornady Tenth Edition (page 880).38 Special loads for your 125g XTP bullet (you should have the manual right?) there are some good starting points like 5.0g to 6.0g of Unique/BE-86/Universal/w-231 under the bullet. Or 7.0g to 8.0g of AA#5. I would not start at the bottom load listed as you do have a little extra volume in the .357 case. Anyway, that's where I'd start with if it was me. Remember .38 Special is 17K and +P is 18.5K psi, so the top end .38 special loads are way under .357 pressures of 35K psi. Another words, you have plenty of wiggle room there!

Moey

Bearcat
Thanks all for the replys. Velocity goal would be about 1000-1050. I'm more concerned with recoil for her. I will try and start out with mid range 38 loads and see what happens. Can I use standard primers and/or mag?

grobin

Blackhawk
For what it sounds like you are trying to do I start with Trail Boss and develop a load with that! Thats what it's designed for.

Mus408

Hunter
Here's a load I use... 125 gr. XTP loaded over 8.5 gr. of Unique in .357 Mag brass which gives around 1100 FPS
out of my .357 LCR and 1240 FPS out of my S&W M 66 with 4 inch barrel.
Nice load.

Rclark

Hunter
As said above, just use standard primers. I am partial to CCI, but other primer brands work as well.
start out with mid range 38 loads
Sounds like a plan. You can always work up from there.

I didn't mention Trail Boss as I didn't care for it in the .357 cartridge. But I did load a lot of it for my dad who wanted a soft shooting round. While not particularly accurate it would still hit a can or ding a plate. The 5.0g load under a 125g TC (lead) bullet was chronographed at 663fps out of a 3" barrel. I used the same load under the 125g plated Berry's bullet also.

PO2Hammer

Single-Sixer
7 grains Unique under any 125 grain jacketed or plated in magnum brass. Very easy shooting. Standard primer.

mikld

Blackhawk
I agree with rclark's answer about starting with a 38 Special +P load in 357 brass. But I have used regular pressure 38 Special loads in my 357 brass many times, even going down to 3.0 Bullseye for wadcutters. One question I would have is what are the optimum velocities for your chosen bullet? If you go too light, your bullet may not perform any better than a fmj...

Several shooters at the range I visit have started using "American Select" and have said very positive things about it. They are mainly using it as a 38spl target or "Cowboy" loading

This is listed on their website

RELOADER'S GUIDE
Alliant Powder Reload Recipes

Caliber Bullet Minimum OAL(inches) Powder Max. Weight (grains) Velocity(fps)
38 Special 125 gr Oregon Trails lead 1.45 American Select 4.7 989 -
38 Special 140 gr Hornady FP lead 1.45 American Select 4.5 988 -

nitro-express

Bearcat
Cowboy action light loads are pretty light. The goal being about 700 fps. When going this light with a 125 gr bullet, it seems that nothing works. I chased this for a while. The reality is that the 357 mag case is too big. Powder position sensitivity and ignition are a constant battle. I dont like crud rings any more than anyone else, but I got tired of failure. Interestingly I ended up buying some 38 Long Colt cases and loading 125 gr bullets with Trail Boss. At +70% loading density ignition is decent and powder position is within a few fps. Crud ring formation is slow, and even after several cylinders of LC, I still could seat, shoot and extract 357 cowboy loads. Trail Boss responds to primer differences. In the LC a Fed 100 seems good. A CCI SP works in the 38 Spl, and in a 357, most of the time a WSP is the charm. Don't hesitate to change primers if chrono results are not good. And at less than 70% loading density, TB is a poor performer.

Latest posts