Pressure testing custom loads?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
How or from where do the gun writers get their pressure info from regarding loads that are not
listed in manuals? Like when Brian Pearce may list pet load for hotter .45 Colt or .44 Special.

Do they have a deal with powder companies to test their loads?

Can you send a powder company your brass and particular bullet for them to test pressure using their
particular powder?

mikld

Blackhawk
Pressure testing tools/equipment can be purchased, but expensive. No lab is needed for some. (I installed some sensors on demolition trailers' rear axles. The sensor measured the deflection of the axle and a processor translated the data into weight). A "strain gauge" is less costly than dedicated pressure test barrels and accurate. A strain gauge is attached the your gun and reads pressure via barrel/receiver expansion.

Mus408

Hunter
Found this test unit here and it seems to be a good piece of equipment for the money at
about 600 bucks! Pressure Trace II
https://www.shootingsoftware.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RSI&Category_Code=PT

gunzo

Hunter
Not sure if it was Brian Pearce or another writer, maybe more than one have mentioned sending ammo to Hornady, HP White Laboratories & others.

HP White for instance, offers it as a service. The Hornady thing is more than likely a relationship between them & the writer.

Wouldn't that be an interesting job? 'Ya work in a ballistics lab that serves the public, & some dude named Jug Johnson sends some loads.
STAND BACK! :shock:

Paul B

Hunter
I have a couple of rather warm reloads that I would love to have tested. I went to H.P. White's web site but nothing there on people like me getting ammo tested. Guess maybe I'll have to call and see what the tariff would be to test my two pet loads. Probably would not be cheap. :(
Paul B.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I've seen the gun rag guys mention H.P. White "forever." Which probably means back to the late '60s? They've been around since 1936 according to their "Our History" link.

In looking up their website a few years ago, it appeared they wanted you to call them so they can figure out what you need, what they can expect from you, and, of course, a fee! Just went to their site and it still says " Call Us: +1 410 838 6550" with a banner under the number that says "Start a project today." Guess they still work on the same model.

Rick C