6.5 Creedmore

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm considering giving this a try for 2019 deer season. Has anyone used this round and if so, what type of ammo and the ammo performance on game? My ranges would most likely be 200-350 yards.

contender

Ruger Guru
6.5 Creedmore has become the newest, hottest caliber for many people. I haven't tried it myself,, as I'm more into handgunning. But,, a lot of people are singing it's praises for being a flat shooting, accurate caliber.

Skoopski

Single-Sixer
Cannot confirm on a deer but my brother built a rifle on an AR-10 platform to take on a hog hunt. (I think he just needed an excuse to build a new gun.

I worked up the loads for him and we settled on a Hornady 147 gr ELDX in New Starline brass with 40.2 gr of H4350. It proved to be a very accurate round. 5 round group at 200 yds from rest was within a half dollar.

Brother shot a large boar at approx 225 yds and said it dropped immediately. Said the exit wound was about 2 inches across. I feel it would be extremely suitable on Missouri whitetail and would pack it along without hesitation.

Other than just looking for a chance to use my new toy, I'd like to have a long(er) range deer rifle with threaded barrel for the muffler. I don't know if this will be a replacement for my tried and true 25/06 but it would require a complete barrel swap to get enough muzzle diameter to thread the 25/06 muzzle.
The AR 10 platform is bulky and heavy compared to the lightweight 25/06 but adding a much thicker barrel profile would make up the difference. Guess I'll get it out and do some shooting after I regain my mobility. I doubt the recoil will be significantly less than a .308 but the trajectory will be flatter.

I actually saw some ammo for the 6.5 the other day! It doesn't do anything, your 25/06 or .270, or .260 won't do. Just a way to make more money IMO. I passed on a couple of raffles due to the winner getting a rifle in 6.5 C. I don't need another caliber!
gramps

In my rifles, the 6.5 creedmoor has less recoil than my .308s. Not a lot less, but it is less. Could be the 6.5 is shooting a 140 grain bullet my .308s shoot 165 and 168 grain
and sometimes heavier bullets. Could be the brake on the 6.5 and no brake on either .308. Could be the 6.5 is heavier than the 110 savage in .308, but the AR-10 in .308 is about the same weight as the 6.5. I would not buy it for less recoil. Unless you might only shoot the lightest bullets around 120 grain in the 6.5, I doubt you will say it makes any difference. Maybe a .243 shooting a 85 grain bullet might show a bigger difference and still be a deer cartridge.

grobin

Blackhawk
I;ve shot one large boar at 300+ yd with the hornaday 140 gr Match, one sot kill.

If the rifle handles it well enough, my plan is to go with Hornady 129 grain factory loads. I think these will be closest to the trajectory of the 25/06 I'm used to. Using a muffler may reduce the felt recoil sensation a bit and my shoulder is getting better vs last year so recoil may be acceptable.
I'm not on the 6.5 C bandwagon but I have it so I'd kind of like to at least give it a try. This is one of those Palmetto State "I can't resist" sale items---an AR 10 lower and 2 uppers(.308 & 6.5C) for less than the price of a .308 alone. I haven't shot it at all as by the time I got it, I'd hurt my shoulder beyond the recoil of even a .308.

gunzo

Buckeye
Well, the 6.5 CM didn't hang the moon, cure the common cold, & it doesn't take in wayward puppies. But it does make the trip to a thousand yards better than the 308, & does it with less recoil, one of it's missions when first devised. Mission accomplished.
Otherwise, likes been said, it'll kill a deer about the same as 40 other cartridges. But really, cartridges don't kill deer, bullets do. Popular saying lately; bullets count way more than headstamps. :mrgreen:
Good medium to long range trajectory & wind bucking ability matters to some folks too.

I hunt with Hornady Custom 150 grain SSTs in my 308s.

It seems to me it would be difficult to sense a difference in 129 grain bullet vs a 150 grain in an AR type rifle.

But, you have the upper, so put it to use.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I wanted to try one until I figured out it was pretty close to my .243 for the first 600 yards of so. Apparently the ballistics are better from 600 to 1000 yards but I don't carry a benchrest with me for hunting so I'll handicap myself by keeping my shots under say 500 yards.