combining the same powder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

If I have just a bit left of Unique in the container, can I just dump it into a new container of Unique? Just to save space? Or is this not a good idea?

Thanks,

Yeah...Not sure how this ended up in the classifieds. I thought I was in the reloading/ammunition section.

Can the moderator please move?

Unless someone wants to buy a used and empty canister of Unique? :D

I do it a lot. But, I would not do it with many years old can and a new. Some may not do not do it and that is Okay. That is safer for sure. They do have lot numbers on all powder containers that I am a where of. If there the same it should be 100% good as long as you know the storage history of the powder.

grobin

Blackhawk
Nothing to worry about from a saftey point, but if I was loading for critical competition no! Tiny diiferences can become evident.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I have a can of each of my powders marked "Mixed Lot" into which I pour new powder when mixed with old. Usually, this is because I fill my measure or "tub" from which I dip and keep it full. So, I fill the measure or tub with all the mixed powder and then top off with the new powder. When done, I dump it back into the mixed can.

That way I'm not "contaminating" the new can.

I had a bad batch of 2400 which resulted in horribly high pressures, so I'm a little fanatical my powder...

Aqualung

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
If I have a little left over powder I dump it into the next bottle of the exact same type and gently rotate and shake it around before dispensing. What else are you going to do with it, throw it away? :mrgreen:

Rclark

Hunter
Yes, do it all the time with same powders. Mostly big jug to little bottle. However, to save space, I've filled my 'big jugs' to the brim with the little bottles....

Seminole Wind

Bearcat
I have always mixed in the last little bit of powder in an old container into my next container of new, identical powder, but in doing so recently, I discovered that the old powder and new powder looked different. The powder was IMR4227 with Made in Canada on both bottles, but the old 4227 was a coarse grain powder and the new 4227 was a much finer grain. I noticed this and did not mix the powders. There is no noticable difference in performance of the two powders, but I didn't want to mix them. I understand H4227 is now labeled IMR4227, so that is probably why I saw a difference in the grain size.

grobin

Blackhawk
For 300BLK I never compete with I just mix. For 10mm, 9mm, 6.5 for competition I load down to the last full load and burn the excess. It is probably superstition but I worry about differences. If I'm developing a load I don't consider it!

mikld

Blackhawk
Many manuals will tell you to reduce the load and work back up when using a different/new lot of powder. But, powder manufacturers keep about 4% consistency from lot to lot against the "standard" for a particular powder, so unless you are running max loads, it's safe to mix...

Twoboxer

Single-Sixer
If both powders are from the same lot and neither has been abused, there's no issue combining them.

Keep in mind that lot to lot variations of 4%-5% actually mean an 8%-10% theoretical swing is possible from lot to lot. If you run into a theoretical worst case when you are already pushing the load to max or above, that could pose a problem for some firearms. This is why powder suppliers and our manuals recommend re-work of your load when changing powder lot numbers.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I've been putting that last little bit from Jug A into Jug B (of the same powder, of course!) for years. I've known guys who bought larger containers, sometimes two or three at a time, and with mixed lot numbers, once mixed, all of them went back into each jug essentially the "same" lot number now. I don't recall anyone ever having a problem with such a practice. Just be careful whether stirring, or shaking, as getting too exuberant there does the powder no good. And make absolutely certain you're NOT mixing brands. That's no good...

Rick C

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I combine them and shake the can up to mix the powders together. In almost 50 years of reloading I've never had a problem and I've never seen a variation in velocities.

dg101win

Single-Sixer
One thing to consider is the new can/bottle/jug of powder giving the same measurement in your powder measure. When I shot skeet I used a lot of Unique(20+28 ga.), Promo in 12 ga. Opened a new Promo 8 lb. jug once and decided to check the weight thrown by my MEC Grabber. I had to change powder bushing by 2 sizes. Also at times I had to change bushings in the 20 and 28. Different density I guess.

So I suggest if you are near a max load check the throw of your measure with each new container.
Yes I would also mix that last bit of old with new.

Latest posts