Thru die powder charging question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

recumbent

Buckeye
The Lee auto drum I have leaks 231 powder like crazy.
Some where I saw a Lyman brass smith powder measure with linkage that dropped powder thru the expanding die. I can't find it on the Lyman web site.
Anyone know where I can find one.
Thanks

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Have you adjusted the tension on the drum? If it is too loose, it will leak.

I remove the powder hopper. Put an empty shell in the holder. Cycle the measure and watch the cavity. I adjust the tension until it reliably returns to the entire cavity being visible.

Lee says to adjust so there is no clearance between the drum and die cast body.

blammer

Single-Sixer
Hope you can get the Lee fixed or find replacement you want. I have the Lee AutoDrum and have no more problems with CFE223 than with my Hornady. CFE223 particles are pretty fine.

From where is it leaking? Make sure all pieces have their o-rings in place and are not pinched. The actual drum must be screwed in fairly snug. The other adapters can be a little less snug, but not loose.

Suggestion: even if you get a replacement, you might want to hold on to the LEE. It is very consistent with stick powders (which would tend not to leak as much).

recumbent

Buckeye
I fixed the 231 powder leakage on my auto drum. I disassembled it, coated the drum with valve grinding compound and cycled it 200 times, cleaned it up and coated the drum with automotive rubbing compound and cycled it 200 times.
Cleaned it up, assembled with a new wiper and No more leakage.
Loaded 25 rounds and it didn't leak at all.
I'm happy....

recumbent

Buckeye
blammer said:
Hope you can get the Lee fixed or find replacement you want. I have the Lee AutoDrum and have no more problems with CFE223 than with my Hornady. CFE223 particles are pretty fine.

From where is it leaking? Make sure all pieces have their o-rings in place and are not pinched. The actual drum must be screwed in fairly snug. The other adapters can be a little less snug, but not loose.

Suggestion: even if you get a replacement, you might want to hold on to the LEE. It is very consistent with stick powders (which would tend not to leak as much).

There are no O rings in the auto drum.

blammer

Single-Sixer
I was talking about the extensions/adapters you attach to the autodrum whole assembly on a Lee Turret so they clear the primer on the Lee press . Glad you got it fixed