Never heard of this before

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tinman

Buckeye
Starline Brass has announced that the folks that own the ammo known as Beowulf (Alexander Industries) have told them they (starline) can't mark the brass that they offer, with that name anymore.....is it just me, or is that just dumb?

rangerbob

Buckeye
Alexander Arms owns the registered trademark on 50 Beowolf and would like folks to buy brass from them instead of Starline. They probably threatened Starline with legal action if they did not comply. Alexander Arms does not own the metric designation that Starline is going to use. It's like calling the 308 Winchester the 7.62x51. I saw the same e-mail notice, as well. Bob! :D

grobin

Blackhawk
With trademark there a lot of bullies out there who try to enforce invalid or irrelevant trademarks. Not enough info to tell if this is legit but it looks likely that it is.

tinman

Buckeye
grobin said:
With trademark there a lot of bullies out there who try to enforce invalid or irrelevant trademarks. Not enough info to tell if this is legit but it looks likely that it is.

Since it was on the Starline ad, I'm pretty sure it's legit. That kinda nonsense is what will make me choose an entirely different product ....... (are ya listening Alexander?) :idea:

gunzo

Hunter
Ahh, another not so bright move by Alexander Arms. Seems I recall them to be the same company that came up with the 6.5 Grendel & nearly smothered it by claiming rights & insisting on royalties for every gun & every cartridge sold. Reports are the Grendel could've become a lot more popular & sooner if not for their antics.

Hey AA! The Beowulf is nearly dead, & Starline could revive!

grobin

Blackhawk
The 6.5 Grendel name was not legally eligible for copyright/trademark! SAAMI is a standards org. The 6.5 Grendel was standardized by them. That made the name a fact and ineligible for copyright/trademark. The Beowulf is not standardized by anyone so is likely eligible for copyright/trademark. But you are right Beowulf was a flash in the pan and is pretty much a dead issue except for hand loaders so objecting is a really dumb move!

mikld

Blackhawk
Wasn't there a similar argument about using "30 Whisper" which, IIRC, is the same cartridge as a "30 Blackout"? Could be wrong as I don't shoot either...