9mm +P ammo for Ruger semi-autos?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Backlighting

Single-Sixer
I recently purchased a Security9 compact and contacted Ruger to ask if 9mm+P ammo could be used. Here's their reply:
"Many of our pistols are manufactured to handle +P ammunitions with the exception of our LCP.380 models. A steady diet of it is not recommended for the endurance life of the firearm. +P+ ammunition should not be used in our firearms"

The P-series Rugers are beefy and can handle the +P stuff although I question the effect on the overall longevity of the frame. I don't use or carry +P ammo and have no need for +P+. If I felt the need for +P+, I'd be looking at a bigger hole in the muzzle or a 357SIG.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Mobuck said:
The P-series Rugers are beefy and can handle the +P stuff although I question the effect on the overall longevity of the frame. I don't use or carry +P ammo and have no need for +P+. If I felt the need for +P+, I'd be looking at a bigger hole in the muzzle or a 357SIG.
I've used 135gr +P in my 9E for several years with no problems. I did, however, install a 20# recoil spring (factory is 18#).