New Dillon XL50 Press For Father's Day

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loaded round

Hunter
My two boys have decided to give me a new Dillon XL650 for Father's Day with all the bells and whistles including the case feeder. It will be set up for both 9mm and .223 (5.56) rounds that seem to be 85-90% of the ammo we shoot these days. At this point, I do run two Dillon 550B's, each set up for large and small primers respectfully and I do have Dillon Dies in 12 different calibers. I have all other necessary equipment since I've been reloading for over 50 years. My only question(s) would be as follows; any after market (non Dillon) accessories recommended for my new XL650? Never paid much attention to the market after being contented with my two 550B's. Think my sons are after my 550B"s? Thanks guys and an early Happy Fathers Day to you all! :)

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a pair of 650's, a 550 & a SDB. I my 650's set up for small & large primers.

Accessories;
I STRONGLY recommend adding the light kit from KMS Squared. I got one & promptly ordered more for my other Dillons except my SDB as they don't make one due to the design of the SDB. Look them up at kmssquared dot com. Buy one complete kit,, with the power adapter,, and just buy the lights for the others & swap around the power adapter when changing machines. I did a post on them a while pack on here.

Next,, I'm fast becoming a fan of my newest accessory,, a replacement drop tube assy for my spent primers. Remove the factory pieces from the bottom, screw on the new adapter, slip on the clear tube, and put the other end into a bottle etc. ALL of the spent primers end up in the bottle. I know you don't have many spent primers jump out & about,, but I do not like them in my floor & as such,, they minor change is NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

loaded round

Hunter
Contender:
Thanks for the advice and I've looked at both items and plan to purchase them after my press arrives and set up. Do you also have/use the Dillon Powder Check die. I like the idea, but it is expensive.
Thanks,
Loadedround
PS: You must be the only on the Ruger chat site that uses a Dillon 650.

contender

Ruger Guru
No problem.
There are a few of us here that own 650's. Not everybody tinkers with them.
Yes,, I do use the powder check dies for many calibers. While they RARELY go off,, it's cheap peace of mind insurance to me. I have a good friend & fellow USPSA shooter who loaded 3000 rounds one day on his 550. He was prepping for a match. He took the gun out to double check it & the ammo. Blew up his Glock in his hands. He was injured,, but not seriously enough to be disabled. But he's a welder by trade & as such,, COULD have had it worse.
He sold his 550 & bought a 650 with the powder check die.

Another accessory I'm using but not sure if it's worth it yet is the roller bearing piece offered to assist in the rotation of the shellplate & all. I have an older 650 that actually worked fine,, but I did notice a "wear" groove on the factory parts. I installed the roller. Yet,, I know that Dillon would gladly replace the worn parts for sure.

WMB30

Single-Sixer
Hi Tyrone
Where can I purchase the drop tube assy for primers you mentioned?

Bill

loaded round

Hunter
Well, we did the deed today. Ordered a brand spanking new Dillon XL650 painted in the famous Dillon blue. It will be set up to run both 9mm and 223 rounds. Bought all the goodies too like the case feeder, high mount, powder checker etc. Can't wait for Father's day now! Will now be running my new XL650, 2 550B's, a SL900, and a Redding T-7 Turret Press. Love my Dillon's! :)

Mus408

Hunter
That's a VERY good Dad's Day present and you have some very great Sons!!!
Enjoy!

contender

Ruger Guru
:D :D :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously,, when you do open them,, RTFM first & foremost!!!!! (FlatGate was fond of the RTFM comment!,, so that one was for him!)

loaded round

Hunter
Since I know what's in each box (one box is just the case feeder), I'll just wait until Sunday when my Son comes over. He assembled our SL900 which is basically a 650 on steroids and I'll have him help me. I always RTFM before I screw things up! An early Happy Father's Day to all our Ruger friends out there.

contender said:
:D :D :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously,, when you do open them,, RTFM first & foremost!!!!! (FlatGate was fond of the RTFM comment!,, so that one was for him!)

loaded round

Hunter
Assembled the 650 last night when things quieted down. Partially assembled when I found out that the bracket that holds the plastic finished shell box to the Dillon Strong Mount was missing. Stopped until I can call Dillon this morning. Read the manual first,looked at all the pictures also, and so far it's be easy to set up! More later.