Old Model 41 Shorty

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Been shooting my OM 41 shorty quite a bit lately with a sort of new to me 210 gr powder coated HP. The reason I say sort of is, I didn't get it in time to shoot any game with it last fall, that's about to change. Last week when my good buddy Doc Barranti was here he decided he really liked it after he pounded 5 straight shots right on top of each other on my steel swinger at about 40 yds from the Keith reclining position. I had to move the sights 4 clicks right to do the same thing.
Today it was windy & I wanted to shoot a "Ram" target at 50 yds so I placed 2 sandbags between the door frame & the mirror on my truck, threw a piece of heavy leather over them & locked my right elbow into my steering wheel. This is my bad weather shooting bench. It wasn't raining but there was a cold, hard wind out of the north.
I must be one of the best 4 out of 5 shooters in the country because good 5 shot groups are hard to come by at the Sixshot residence, dang it! I need to narrow the front sight & haven't done it yet but I will before I leave for New Mexico.
At 50 yds I got 4 into 1 1/2" but one went 3" right. With that full size (.125" thick") front sight its very easy for old eyes to get off just enough to walk one out of the group, I did it again. I like my front sights to be .100", makes it so much easier for old eyes to get centered up.
The load was 8 grs of Unique & the 210 gr Miha HP at almost exactly 1050 fps. Going up to 9 grs the gun actually shoots a little better & that's the load I'll hunt with this fall. I did adjust up 2 clicks after shooting. As always, cross draw leather by Doc Barranti.

vwwAHI4h.jpg

euJjjNVh.jpg

rVSglPRh.jpg

rgEqLnjh.jpg

mLhaSIRh.jpg

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I think you & I can compete for the "best 4 out of 5" class! I seem to be afflicted with the same disease WAAAYYY too much. :D :D

Still it's nice to see you have another 41 that shoots good. So,, when you get tired of that one,, it can come to live with it's cousin! :D :D

Latest posts