38 super +p. Out of service six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

silverback

Blackhawk
I stopped by Walmart on the way to the range to pick up some 38 special +p.

I didnt notice that the clerk must have grabbed the wrong ammo. the rounds were actually 38 super auto +p.

They loaded and ejected fine. I guess that's because they are a semi rimmed cartridge.

Accuracy was on par with other 38 special plus p have shot.

Anyone have this experience?

Anything I should be worried about?

Snake45

Hawkeye
I believe the .38 Super has a higher pressure rating than .38 Spec +P, and .38 Super +P would be higher yet, somewhere close to .357 Mag pressures. Your Service Six apparently stood up to this, but I would definitely not make a habit of it.

The .38 Super +P is still a couple thousand PSI below a .357 Mag so the cylinder of the Service Six will handle the pressure. I was more worried about the extraction but the .38 Super isn't a true rimless case and the rim is slightly smaller than that of a .38/.357 (0.406" vs 0.440") so apparently the extractor star will grab it and allow it to be extracted. Case length and diameter aren't a concern either looking at the dimensions (bullet diameter on the .38 Super is 0.355").

That said, he should be able to fire them, just don't know what the accuracy will be like, probably not that bad, like shooting a 9mm in a .357/9mm convertible gun, abet a bigger bang :D

silverback

Blackhawk
You got it ron. Same as my 9mm converted cylinder. Infact I can pop them into moon clip and still use 357 and 38 special without without moon clips.

So that would make this conversion able to shoot 4 different rounds. Hoot hoot!!!!!