My new reloading bench

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My new reloading bench. It was one of those metal shelves from Home Depot. I thought it would be more stable than how it came. It still has some wiggle in it, but I'm slowly getting it to be solid. Yes, that is an Oak stump on the bottom shelf. Along with the granite for extra weight to keep the whole unit stable.

I guess I should put a picture of it in the reloading bench thread.
9PxxGvjh.jpg

Hey! No, I haven't bolted it to the wall. It didn't even occur to me to do something like that. I guess I posted this picture because I'm happy with the size and everything, but not happy with the way it moves. I suppose I was looking for ideas.

Thanks!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
Hey! No, I haven't bolted it to the wall. It didn't even occur to me to do something like that.

Hi,

If you use the style of hollow wall anchors that push into a hole in the wall, then you tighten a screw to expand the legs inside it, what they used to call Molly Anchors before a handful of generic copies came on the market, you can probably get that bench about as solid as you wish it to be. Depending on the shape of the metal uprights, you may want to use wooden backers between the wall and the metal, and good sized washers under the heads of the screws, all to spread the load a bit.

Do a quick search for "molly anchors how to put in drywall" and you'll find just about everything you need to know about sizes, installation tips, etc.

Something else you may wish to do is add a layer or two of heavy material (plywood, MDF, particle board or similar) to the bench top. We hear complaints all the time about how "My press has too much flex in it." Well, it ain't the press flexing in about 99 and 44/100% of the cases: it's the bench top flexing. My bench has a 3/4" particle board top with a steel skin, and two more 3/4" pieces of particle board on top of that. Those two extra particle board pieces are thoroughly glued together, then all three pieces are held together with C-clamps at the corners. The mounting bolts for the presses go thru three layers, and it's still possible to lean on the press and flex all that, at least a tiny bit! But you've gotta work at it, and if it takes that much force on the press, something else is not right (usually insufficient lube when sizing larger cases, like the .303 Brit and .30-06 in my situation.) If I were to change anything, I'd probably go to MDF instead of the particle board.

Rick C

If you choose the bolt your bench to the wall, find a couple of studs to put lag bolts into. Even if you only line up one of the risers, bolting it to a stud will be more stable and stronger than dry wall.

gunzo

Buckeye
If I had a dollar for every time I've read or heard; I can't reload, I just don''t have the room.......

This is a shining example of found room & simplicity, a bit elaborate perhaps, as it's much nicer than some of the places I've pulled the handle.

It's called gittin it done. Good job Kevin.

And..... I don't recognize the brand of that chunk of wood, but have to ask; what & why?

It's a section of Oak. We had a tree in our front yard die. I kept two sections. Eventually the bark will dry up and come off easily. They make nice end tables. I'll sand it and put some low gloss varnish on it.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions about wall anchors.

Another question:
Does anyone have a reloading table high enough they stand up to reload? I'm wondering about raising the bench height to where I would stand and reload. If that would be comfortable or not.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
Does anyone have a reloading table high enough they stand up to reload? I'm wondering about raising the bench height to where I would stand and reload. If that would be comfortable or not.

Hi,

Kevin, my bench started as a plain ol' Craftsman work bench from Sears years ago. I've added 4 1/2" between added blocks under the corners and the two extra sheets of particle board I described above. Current height is 36" +/- from the carpeted floor. Loading shotshells while standing is doable, but if I wanted to do it all the time, I'd be experimenting with a little more height, getting to around 38-39 inches (I'm 6' even if I stand up straight.)

Thing is, I don't like standing to do metallic stuff, and adding much more height to the top would require something to put my stool on to retain the current bench-stool relationship. It would take some playing around to see if a good compromise may be in there someplace!

Rick C

contender

Ruger Guru
Nice!

As noted,, bolt to wall studs to assist in stability.
Add another serious layer of bench top material to strengthen things too. it's amazing what a piece of steel can do, sandwiched between two pieces of wood.

And lastly,, it's too small, & missing the upcoming addition of the item we've been discussing! :D

Nice job, I build my own bench in each house I have owned. All bolted into the wall.
As for height and sitting or standing. It's all what you want. Just consider using the handle, can you operate it from the side or straight in front. Sitting maybe only from the side due to where the handle is in your lap. Standing can be either. I ended up bolting the presses to a 2x6. That 2x6 is clamped to the bench. I remove them at times to work on a gun. The clamps hold the presses great. I stand to work/handload. I move around a lot to get to all the stuff I need on the 8ft bench.

Thanks for all the replies!

After I posted this picture, I actually went out and took it all apart. My garage is pretty messy at the moment so no pictures right now. I'm going to try and get it bolted to the wall. But I have to find another hiding place for my ladder. It's shoved back there behind the shelf on the floor.

I'm working on a new bench top. It will be 6 long and 3 feet deep (36x72). And 2 inches thick. I'll look for some metal. That's another thing I haven't thought of either.

It will stick out from the metal shelving a foot, which should give me enough room if I expand my reloading supplies beyond my lonely RCBS turret press.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I use a heavy, steel frame desk for my reload bench. 3 drawers on each side. It's sturdy with no movement. It really does not take much room to have a press set up.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
daveg.inkc said:
I use a heavy, steel frame desk for my reload bench. 3 drawers on each side. It's sturdy with no movement. It really does not take much room to have a press set up.

Hi,

Is it one of those old battleship gray gubb'mint issue jobs? If so, and one can be located these days, those things are solid as a rock and then some!

Rick C

daveg.inkc

Hunter
No Rick, it isn't. But, I know exactly what you are referring to. But, it's solid and sturdy. I've loaded hundreds of ammo on it. 35 years worth.

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
Living VERY near the "NEW MADRID FAULT", is another thing to think about. It doesn't matter where you live, Its just a safety issue ALSO..kids DO CLIMB ON STUFF. tHEY DON'T NEAD TO EVEN BE YOUR OWN. PEOPLE COME TO VISIT......