6.5x55 ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PAShooter

Single-Sixer
Does anyone know of factory ammunition loaded for the 6.5x55 that has higher pressures for modern rifles. I am looking for 51000+ cup.

sailorb

Single-Sixer
Haven't seen any factory ammo that exceeds the pressure limits on a Swede. Seems like Hornady might have something hotter than the rest. Most loading manuals list handloads for modern guns. No reason anewfirearm couldn't handle the pressure of say a 30-06. That said, I would be very cautious about exceeding SAMMI limits in any firearm.

PAShooter

Single-Sixer
Since my last post I have some information that answers my own question. I tried a couple of factory loaded cartridges and the Sellier&Bellot (sp) is economical and good performing ammo in the 6.5x55. I am presently handloading to find a good performing combination. Have thus far tried 7 different recommended powders in multiple weights. I have been using 129 gr Hornady fb. I have nearly equaled the S&B accuracy, but not exceeded it (0.4"MOA).

Boatbuilder

Bearcat
PAShooter said:
Since my last post I have some information that answers my own question. I tried a couple of factory loaded cartridges and the Sellier&Bellot (sp) is economical and good performing ammo in the 6.5x55. I am presently handloading to find a good performing combination. Have thus far tried 7 different recommended powders in multiple weights. I have been using 129 gr Hornady fb. I have nearly equaled the S&B accuracy, but not exceeded it (0.4"MOA).

A surprisingly accurate bullet in this cartridge is the 155 grain Lapua Mega. It produces very consistent, tight groups when I've tried it.

For reasonably priced factory ammo, I had success with Prvi, but haven't checked their prices lately.