elec scale v. fluorescent lights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Two questions here...
1) Is it true that fluorescent lighting can throw-off accuracy of a digital scale?
2) Would led "fluorescent lights) also be detrimental to accuracy of digital scales?
THANKS,
J.

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
It doesn't take much interference to throw of electronic scales, if the lights are far enough away, shouldn't be a problem, I think the led lights have just as much effect as the fluorescent though , I switched from fluorescent to led, a few months ago, still get a little wandering from time to time, from 1 to 2 tenths gr. On the tare weight

contender

Ruger Guru
I heard about that long ago. When I built a new bench & set-up,, I didn't put up any fluorescent lights over my reloading area. I used a LED type of track lighting. I haven't had any issues,, yet,,, !

grobin

Blackhawk
First; torsion balances are susceptible to electrical/magnetic effects-not just good which shave a ballist. A friend has a nice setup in his basement, just under the kitchen. His wife bought a new too end SubZero ™ refrigerator. Much more powerful motor, he had to move his bench due to interference.
Most lab balance are not a problem but can get expensive compared to reloading balances.

If you think there is a problem get a cheap set of calibration weights like these: https://smile.amazon.com/Hestya-Cal...ateway&sprefix=calib&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1[url].

No fluorescent lights around my bench heard that long ago I don't
like to take chances. Someone else told me that was all malarkey who knows?
I use my Ohaus 10 10 balance scale mostly anyways ps

Twoboxer

Single-Sixer
The electronic scales most handloaders use (ie, <$500) all use the same basic strain gauge load cell technology. Strain gauges are often sarcastically referred to as "noise meters", ie, they will react to electronic noise.

This noise can come over the power cord or over the air. Sources include fluorescent lamps, the ballasts that drive them, cell phones, microwaves, motors, WiFi, and more.

Symptoms include the scale frequently losing zero or fluttering absent the presence of any motion, wind, or static electricity. The scale can easily become inaccurate depending on when it is actually affected by the noise.

Not all scales will react to all fluorescent fixtures . . . it depends on the level of the noise and the tolerance of the scale. Some folks are successful with some scales in their reloading rooms, more likely because their room is relatively noise free than that the scale has excellent protection from noise. This and the multitude of sources for noise leads to conflicting reviews about scales as well as methods for "eliminating" noise (eg ferrite cores added to the power cord).

Johnnu2

Hunter
Well, so far, I haven't blown myself up since I started back in 1972. But I do double check by going back and forth from the balance scale to the electronic scale.... it takes longer, but I use a single stage press and have nothing else I'd rather do with my time (God is good)........ Thanks again to all for your thoughts.
J

grobin

Blackhawk
The ballast in a Flo is high voltage medium current. LED have a ~5v separate supply. Much much lower EM field. Unlikely to affect the scale-well maybe if you set it on the power supply!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

While I do have an inexpensive digital scale, I only use it for "rough" estimations, like sorting freshly cast bullets into similar weight groups. It's rather entertaining in the many ways it can go on walkabout. The way I figure it, measuring weight is a mechanical chore which should be done by mechanical means. In other words, a balance balance beam style, like the faithful RCBS 5-0-5 I bought in 1975 or so and still comes up dead nuts with the check weights. Physics is far more dependable than most electronic gear. And it won't just up and die on you at the least opportune time, either.

Rick C

Johnnu2

Hunter
It is amazing how accurate those beam scales can be (I have the same one in the Lyman version.... I gave my RCBS to a friend). As I said, being super anal, I weigh each charge via the beam and the elec. and, when the electric is 'on', the beam scale verifies it exactly....
J

Johnnu2

Hunter
I don't think so...... I don't know what a Faraday cage is.... :-((
I'll just keep using my 'do it twice' measuring protocol..... then someday I'll switch to LED technology ....
J