30 carb

Help Support Ruger Forum:

any ruger

Blackhawk
Getting in to the 30 carb. It's a 3 screw converted hear lots of mixed comments on mv. What do people in the know recommend. I am mosstly asking in reguards to flame cutting.

contender

Ruger Guru
I own a couple of the OM 30 Carbine Blackhawks. I've not had any issues with topstrap flame cutting.

Flame cutting is more common on many guns than most folks think. It's often attributed to light bullets, and hot, fast burning powder. But one thing often ignored is the fact that it usually only goes a little way into the frame,, a shallow cut so to speak. then it stops.

I don't know of the "mv" place you speak of,, (but I'm computer stupid too,) but many of us around here enjoy them. A good set of dies, a proper taper crimp, and a little heavier bullet & you can have a LOT of fun!

grobin

Blackhawk
Generally the mussel velocity is determined by the tides and current.
The original 30 carbine used FMJ but what the revolver likes depends. A friend's likes cast, you need to try and see, he uses 115 gr. He also likes Buffalo Bore hard cast 125gr (except For the price).

contender

Ruger Guru
No less than a 110 grn bullet. And try to not run the velocities to the max. A slower burning powder is where I'd start. Most manuals list powders to where the hottest/fastest powders are listed at the top of the list & go down from there. Read the burn rate charts to be sure.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The standard loading of the 30 Carbine for rifles is 14.0-15.0 grain of H-110 with a 110 grain bullet. You can't get a much slower power than that.

The beauty of the 30 Carbine in a handgun is that you can load it with a faster powder at less pressure for fun shooting.

grobin

Blackhawk
Checked with my friend; he is using 10.3 gr of N110 with the Lyman #311359 115gr cast. He tried lighter bullets but his revolver didn't like them. He tried the 130gr cast but not nearly as good as the Buffalo Bore. His revolver doesn't like MV 1700 to ~1800 fps. No signs of flame cutting with the ~2000 fps Buffalo Bore.

I'd be Leary of the very light fragmenting, fragable, Lehigh Xtreme Cavitator, etc.