I’m gonna work up a load for my Ruger Ranchrifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gundogblue

Bearcat
Hi All,
I just got an older Ruger Ranch rifle, 195/ series, and I want to find a good defensive load she'll like. I've heard that the mini/ranch rifles in .223 have a 1 in 7 twist, is This True? My varmint AR has a 1 in 12 twist so she likes bullets 52 grns and lighter, my Bushmaster AR has I beleave a 1 in 8, or 1 in 9 twist so she'll shoot about anything well. But if the Ruger has a 1 in 7/twist I assume she'll want to be fed a little heavier .223 bullet. So if this is the case, what's the best weight bullet for the Ruger Ranch rifle? I want to try and stay away from match bullets as they're expensive, and my ranch rifle ain't no match gun, I'm looking for a good bullet for a defensive load. It would be great if I could use 55-62 grn bullets, but I'm not sure they would be stabilized in a rifle with a 1 in 7 twist rate. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul

grobin

Blackhawk
As I recall the mini ranch is 5.56 NATO with a 1 in 9 twist. So you can use pretty much any bullet. You don't say home defense versus trail versus a Hatfield–McCoy replay. Junk 55 gr FMJ are cheap and OK for practice, but not so for defense. Where I live heavy clothing is normal year round and I need to worry about bear and moose. For home use I like the 55gr Hornady Vmax (a bit light but OK). A friend alternates them with the Lehigh Defense 55 Grain Fracturing. I used to like the 75 gr A-max but they have been discontinued. I no longer use my mini for defense by have gone to 10mm.

gundogblue

Bearcat
Blackhawk,
I'm not talking about defense against wild animals , but rather those two legged booger bears that are so prevalent in our society today. But it's great to hear the mini has a 1 in 9 twist, that means I can use the same load in it that I use in my AR. But my main defensive guns are still my 12 ga loaded with 00 buck, and my 1911 Kimber that resides on my night stand:)

GooseGestapo

Bearcat
Grafs has Hornady 62gr PTSPT-BT for less than $100/1000. These are good for ANY reasonable use for your MINI-14.
A friend had a first run Ranch Rifle that had the 1/10"twist of all the early mini's. It was easily the most accurate mini I've ever shot. With a Nosler 55gr BT over 24.0gr of H322 it would shoot 5-shot 1.0 to 1.2" groups at 100yds. (Wore a Leupold 2-7x VariX II Compact).
Most other mini's I've shot were 3-5moa shooters, including the 2 I owned.
His rifle was distinctive in that stock had a red rubber butt pad instead of curved plastic plate.

I believe that prior to recent changes for accuracy improvements, that since early '90's that the minis had 1/9" twist.
So, it really depends on when it was made.