Powder measure

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I use the pro auto disc for handgun calibers and like it a lot. I Have not used the auto drum. I do rifle loads different.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I've used both the auto drum and the auto disc. The auto drum is hands down a better measure IMO. It is infinitely adjustable, easier to dump powder at the end of a session, and much quieter and smoother in operation. In my experience, it also is more consistent.

I highly recommend it.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
So does the auto drum work better than the auto disc for loads between 4 and 9 grains? Is it less tricky to adjust to get a full drop instead of a short stroke?

Different related question. Is it better to use the auto powder measures with a powder measure die or with the Lee through the die powder expander dies?

And finally, is a Redding or Dillon or RCBS auto charging with a charging die better?

I am willing to upgrade if it is truly a upgrade.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
woodperson said:
So does the auto drum work better than the auto disc for loads between 4 and 9 grains? Is it less tricky to adjust to get a full drop instead of a short stroke?

Different related question. Is it better to use the auto powder measures with a powder measure die or with the Lee through the die powder expander dies?

And finally, is a Redding or Dillon or RCBS auto charging with a charging die better?

I am willing to upgrade if it is truly a upgrade.

I typically use loads in that range, except when loading wadcutters. I have found the auto drum works better than the auto disc, regardless of the load. I have no issues with short strokes. You do need to adjust the tension on the drum. I do it empty with the hopper off. I cycle the measure and adjust it until the cavity does not return to the proper position. I then loosen it until it reliably returns to the full cavity showing.

I use the combo powder drop/expander dies. They work fine, and save space in my turret for a powder check die.

recumbent

Buckeye
Perfect timing on this thread. Thursday evening I ordered the Lee auto drum powder measure. I looked at a friends auto disk and then downloaded the manual for the auto drum and decided I liked it better so ordered it and a auto disk measure riser. I use lee dies on a Lyman turret press. Should work well for me I hope.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Been out of town for a while with my mail held. Back now. Just ordered the Auto Drum. Thanks for all the information. Seemed like good pricing and free shipping from Midway and I could not find one locally.

George

Blackhawk
Any comments on the Lee Deluxe perfect powder measure? I picked up one of these while ago haven't used it yet also have a set of extra drums that I picked up for it and they say also fit Auto disc, and auto drum! I've been measuring each load on the scale so far and would like to speed things up a little bit. Your thoughts for those for those who have used the deluxe perfect powder measure please. Thank you George

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Got my new auto drum and loaded 100 rounds with it. Easy to set up and adjust. Works as advertised. Have not set up different drums for different loads yet but will. Probably will not use the auto disc much if at all again. I like the linkage to the expander die better with the auto drum. With the auto disc I had to over expand sometimes to get the disc to go all the way to the back to drop the full charge,

recumbent

Buckeye
I use the auto drum. I load a lot using 231 powder and my auto drum leaks powder on the press.
I adjust it with the hopper off the press. Tighten it until it won't cycle then back off just until it cycles. And it still leaks. A Google search revealed that some leak and some don't. Lee sent me a new wiper so I will install that and see if it corrects the problem. I use it on a Lyman turrret press and like it except for the darn leakage.

recumbent

Buckeye
I fixed the 231 powder leakage on my auto drum. I disassembled it, coated the drum with valve grinding compound and cycled it 200 times, cleaned it up and coated the drum with automotive rubbing compound and cycled it 200 times.
Cleaned it up, assembled with a new wiper and No more leakage.
Loaded 25 rounds and it didn't leak at all.
I'm happy....

blammer

Single-Sixer
Interesting. Glad you figured it out. Sounds like there was some flashing or slightly out of spec mating surface somewhere.