.22 magnum PISTOL ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
I read recently that someone is loading .22 Mg. ammo with a faster burning powder for handgun use. It is supposed to produce velocities as good or better than regular .22 Mg. ammo (designed for rifles) in a handgun. Anybody else heard of this?

NikA

Buckeye
I think you're referring to Gold Dot Short Barrel loads, which are available in .22M. Not sure about their performance in this cartridge, have seen good things in other handgun cartridges.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Faster powder won't yield higher velocity. The so called short barrel loads have more tender bullets that expand at handgun velocities.

5of7

Hunter
CraigC said:
Faster powder won't yield higher velocity. The so called short barrel loads have more tender bullets that expand at handgun velocities.

I think the main objective is to reduce the ball of fire that exits the muzzle when firing the .22 Mg. in handguns.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Your OP said faster powders would yield higher velocities. The .22Mag may have been born in rifles but it has much more in common with magnum revolver cartridges, much like the .30Carbine. As such, they are loaded with a magnum revolver powder, not a rifle powder. I don't know if the short barrel loads use a low flash powder but whatever it is, it's not going to be faster. I have Gold Dots to test but haven't got around to it yet.

5of7

Hunter
CraigC said:
Your OP said faster powders would yield higher velocities. The .22Mag may have been born in rifles but it has much more in common with magnum revolver cartridges, much like the .30Carbine. As such, they are loaded with a magnum revolver powder, not a rifle powder. I don't know if the short barrel loads use a low flash powder but whatever it is, it's not going to be faster. I have Gold Dots to test but haven't got around to it yet.

Actually what I said was that it is supposed to yield velocities as fast or faster. I am just repeating the information from the article in Am Handgunner magazine. I, like you, have not chronographed any of this ammo as yet because I have not received any of it, which is not surprising, since I didn't know it was being loaded until yesterday. I have chronographed a good quantity of .22 Mg. in 2 handguns thus far, both with 5-1/2" bbls and in those guns the 40 gr. stuff yields in the 1200 FPS range with the heavier 45 and 50 gr. samples yielding less than that. The lighter ammo comes in higher of course. The article was written using a North American Arms revolver w/2" bbl. My understanding is that the Hornady Critical Defense ammo features a 45 Gr. bullet. My expectation would be that it will generate about 1000 to 1100 fps. We will see when it arrives. 8)

EDIT: I picked this off Hornady's web site. They are claiming 1000 fps with a 1-7/8" bbl. If that proves to be an accurate number, it at least hints of better than usual velocities in a handgun and a 45 grainer. Guns vary in terms of velocity delivery, so we will see. https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rimfire/22-wmr-45-gr-ftx-critical-defense#!/#specs

mikld

Blackhawk
I'm no ballistic expert, but Hornady claims 1,000 fps from a 1 7/8" barrels with the faster powder. Make sense to me that a faster powder will yield a higher velocity in a short barrel, but I didn't get a chrony until about 10 years ago, well after my experiments with burn rates vs. barrel length...