Sorting brass

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
Yeah, I load pistol ammo with mixed headstamp but I don't think it is the best, unless it is length sized which will keep the cases from getting bulges from the crimp. I have had function problems from mixed headstamp cases because of crimp bulges that caused the cartridge to not chamber fully. This may be acceptable for range plinking but I would never trust mixed headstamp for a defense weapon, unless they are trimmed to uniform length.

mikld

Blackhawk
I inspect all my brass before processing it. When I'm starting and working up a load, I'll use sorted brass. Once I arrive at a good load, I'll relax my requirements and shoot mixed brass. If the load still works good, I'll continue to shoot mixed brass (most loads do)...

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Mixed . I resize and drop them in a case gauge. If they fit in the gauge they are good to go ,expand and load em up.
Forgot to say I load single stage. Retired and in no hurry.

bfm1851

Bearcat
Mixed for me too. Don't trim either. And I don't bother with primer pocket much unless it seats to easy. Load all my pistol ammo on Lee turret press. Loads are all mild to mid range and crimped with lee factory crimp die. I can't shoot well enough with a hand gun to warrant much more. With my rifle loads well that's different. They all get sorted, weighed, prepped, loaded on a RCBS single stage press.
Oh on both handgun and rifle brass I only shoot my own and don't mess with range pick-up brass.

When you mix headstamps you had a variable, because different brass manufacturers have different length, internal capacity, which will effect pressures, which in turn will effect velocity, and grouping.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I don't reload 9mm brass as I have no 9mm revolvers. But I do reload and here's my system: First of all, my brass cleaner is a Thumbler's Tumbler with two barrels, each holds fifty cases. So, when firing, I place my empty brass back into the box from which it came, and when I get home dump one box into one barrel. When cleaned, the brass goes back into the correct box. I keep track of how many times each box has been loaded. Each box is loaded ten times with full power serious work ammunition. After that many times it is relegated to practice ammunition. I also note on a label when the brass was trimmed and how many times it had been loaded at that point.

I label each box with pertinent infor mation:

I can't remember the last time I used factory ammunition.

Bob Wright