200-210 gr cast MBC in 44 sp with unique, anyone using this?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triker

Single-Sixer
I use coated Missouri bullet co. bullets. Is anyone using the 200-210 gr in their 44 sp ? I just punch paper so don't really need 240 unless more accurate. Using unique powder. Which bullet weight is preferred ? Thanks. Triker

sixshot

Buckeye
Triker, you don't say what gun you are shooting but a 200 gr bullet should be a dandy for just punching paper, shooting tin cans, etc. Cheaper to buy & they should work just fine in your gun with Unique, one of the most popular six gun powders of all time.
You will hear the usual complaints about it being a bit dirty & it is but it's also a very good powder. Others are Universal, Power Pistol, Longshot, Titegroup, etc. Many powders work great in the 44 special. A more common bullet weight is the 240-250 gr bullet & usually they do shoot a bit better at distance but you probably won't be shooting very far & those 200 gr slugs should work just fine. Just use a sandard LP primer & have fun. Flat base bullets work better than the bevel base.

Dick

triker

Single-Sixer
Hey Dick, thanks for responding. Shooting New Model Ruger Blackhawk Bisley, 4 5/8 barrel, SS, large frame. Primers I always use are WLP, standard or magnum. Triker

Mus408

Hunter
I have loaded the Xtreme 200 gr. plated bullets in both .44 Special and Magnum and they shoot well.
I like 7.5-8.0 gr. of Unique with the .44 Special in my Flattop .44 Special.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Mus408 said:
I like 7.5-8.0 gr. of Unique with the .44 Special in my Flattop .44 Special.

This load with a 200 gr. bullet will closely duplicate the 44-40, a round that served well for many years.

Dan

Paul B

Hunter
I only shoot my home cast 240 gr. bullets in my .44 Spl. with 7.5 gr. of Unique, Skeeter Skelton's pet load. Hits hard enough for most purposes, is very accurate and recoil is not bad at all.
Paul B.

Flyover_Country

Bearcat
triker said:
I use coated Missouri bullet co. bullets. Is anyone using the 200-210 gr in their 44 sp ? I just punch paper so don't really need 240 unless more accurate. Using unique powder. Which bullet weight is preferred ? Thanks. Triker

I recently got a few boxes of their coated 200 gr Stalker LFN bullets and have been shooting their 240 gr Keith bullets for quite some time. I have an SRH so I mostly load in magnum cases and am currently using Universal rather than Unique. I am still working this up as a load but 9 grains of Universal makes a pretty decent target load and should be about what you get with 8 grains or so in a .44 Spl case. I can't tell any difference in accuracy between the 200 and 240 grain bullets at up to 25 yards. I haven't shot any 200s at farther distances than that yet.

I use WLP primers as well so I don't have to worry about stocking more than one type of primer. I do load some full power loads with H110 behind 240 grain bullets for "hunting load practice" and the WLP is the only primer that is suitable for both the H110 loads and easier-to-light-off loads.