Unique

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
According to the Lee Dipper chart Universal and Unique seem to be the same density. (9.1 gms/cc for one, 9.2 for the other) Does that seem to be correct? If so, I will get the same degree of fill with either?

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
woodperson said:
According to the Lee Dipper chart Universal and Unique seem to be the same density. (9.1 gms/cc for one, 9.2 for the other) Does that seem to be correct? If so, I will get the same degree of fill with either?

Hi,

Given the same weight on your charges, those two are close enough in density you probably will.

Rick C

Rclark

Hunter
What about Alliant BE-86?
I've tested it. One of those powders (like Universal) that is very close to Unique. I burnt a couple #s of it during testing and general shooting. It meters better. I also got lower Extreme Spreads with it. I liked it. But I have lots of Unique so I use it :) .

I crimp... But just enough to turn in to the groove. No need for 'heavy' crimp ... unless you are shooting very hot loads. Only reason for the crimp is to keep it from jumping the crimp and tying up your revolver.

I have no Unique. After Universal Clays replaced it in my 20 and 28ga shotguns back in the '90's, it took me 20 years to use up my last 2 lbs in handguns.
Now, Alliant 20/28 has replaced the Universal Clays. The 20/28 is a modern, cleaner, better metering, slightly more economical version of Unique. Savvy handloaders have found it to be superior in every way to Unique in handguns...unfortunately, Alliant hasn't provided any handgun data. Unique will never go away just because it's been around for over 100 years and reloaders would scream.

I have five .44's and 20/28 beats Unique for accuracy in every one with the same bullet/velocity.

30 different powders ... no Unique.

dIvDJoi.jpg

woodperson

Single-Sixer
My original purpose of asking was to determine if there was anything magical about Unique compared to Universal and other similar powders. I think the answer I have walked away with is no, not really. And I now feel no real need to "try it". Thanks for all the input.

Rclark

Hunter
I have no Unique. After Universal Clays replaced it ... Now, Alliant 20/28 has replaced the Universal Clays.
I liked 20/28 as well, but I found BE-86 to be more consistent (lower ES) than 20/28 (and Unique and Universal). All metered better than Unique for sure. I consider 20/28, Universal, and BE-86 to be very close to Unique in all the revolver cartridges I tested. As for accuracy, IMHO, they all shot well enough that I couldn't really tell them apart. So since, I have 'lots' of Unique, I will just stick with it. If by chance I am able to use up all my Unique, I'd go with BE-86, at this point, as the replacement powder.

if there was anything magical about Unique compared to Universal and other similar powders
Nope... Just as been around for a long time and works well in the 'medium' load arena in about every revolver cartridge you can dream up. A lot of us started with Unique and just stuck with it.