Helping a friend get started in reloading....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
I'm giving him guidance in getting setup for his adventure in reloading.
He is starting out with a Lee progressive press even though I recommended the Dillon 550, he is coming along OK.
One thing I did tell him was to get a good beam scale and if he wanted a digital scale too but don't skimp on quality. So he tells me he bought a digital scale from Harbor Freight and it didn't come with any calibration weight.
Thinking he could just calibrate it with a 200 gr. bullet,I told him just because the bullet info claims it is 200 gr. does not make it so as actual bullet weights vary several grains. Get you a good beam scale right now before you load any powder I told him!
He likes to save a dollar but don't skimp on your powder scale!!

I will agree with your statements. I do not know the HP unit, but make damn sure it measures grains not grams.
Reloading can get real expense fast, but most of the better quality stuff will last longer than your friend. I have been looking on ebay and there is a lot of used reloading items on it. Because the typical reloading stuff lasts so well, used maybe a good way to get started.

grobin

Blackhawk
Calibration weights in sets are available on Amazon inexpensively.

A quick look at HF online shows no scale useful for reloading !!. None is in grains!

Amazon has reloading scales from $20 up. Beam balances run ~$75.
He needs to get one!

loaded round

Hunter
Interesting comments on beam balances and digital balances. FYI, the digital balance has completely replaced the beam balance in hospital, industrial, and higher education laboratories. Digital balances are quicker, easier to operate, and less of a chance of misreading a value. As others ave said, get a good one. Lyman, and RCBS offer several models of digital balances that are excellent. I personally use a Dillon balance and am 100% pleased with it. BTW however, a beam balance never wears out, breaks, or needs a battery replacement, it's just old fashioned technology.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I have both. A Hornady digital and a RCBS Beam. I've checked the weight comparison between the two and they are pretty much identical.
The Hornady digital came with the calibration weight.
I've had it for probably 5 years and only had to change the battery once.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I have both. A Hornady digital and a RCBS Beam. I've checked the weight comparison between the two and they are pretty much identical.
The Hornady digital came with the calibration weight.
I've had it for probably 5 years and only had to change the battery once.

RandyP

Bearcat
I use digital calipers and a low cost (under $40) digital scale for all my reloading needs. Because of their inherent accuracy? Heck no - it's because at 70 ( yes it stuns me I made it this long too -lol) my old eyeballs thank me for the convenience.

You young bucks out there who chuckled? Just wait....YOUR day is coming. lol

Mus408

Hunter
I have the Dillon beam scale and the Frankford Arsenal digital scale.
Have found that the digital scale will wander a couple tenths of a grain depending on how long the scale is on.
I always backup the digital readings with the beam scale and will swap back and forth between scales while checking powder dump setup.
Thru the reloading process I make occasional weight checks which usually show Unique powder variations of 2 tenths of a grain.
And another note...do not have any fan or air movement when weighing powders as it causes the scale
to fluctuate.

I too have a digital scale and a Lee beam scale to verify the digital. I think he should get an single stage to use first. Progressives have sooo much going on at the same time, and that is how stuff happens. If he isn't fully aware of the loading process well you see what can happen. Good on you for your help!
gramps

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
I also use the frankford arsenal digital scale, if your patient with it I find it to be very accurate. I have checked it a against the Hornady and the weigh identically. They cost about the same too.

grobin

Blackhawk
I use a calibrated lab balance from Ohaus PA84 it's accurate to 0.0001 grams. I bought it for formulating coatings and tints. I work in mg as it's better resolution. The balance gives me a choice of 14different units.

Most digital scales are not real accurate and a florescent light of motor in the vicinity will throw them off. Beam balances are unaffected by magnetic or electrical fields.

mikld

Blackhawk
One good way to "turn off" a new reloader is if he tries to start with a progressive press, and especially a Lee which has a bad reputation. He needs to learn how to reload, not operate a reloading machine, big difference. If he insists on a progressive press right away, I'd prolly just say "good luck" and walk away from the soon to happen confusion and frustration.

For a new reloader K.I.S.S. is the best way to go; first a good study of "The ABCs of Reloading", then single stage press, w/o "quick fit" bushings so he will learn to adjust dies properly, a standard die set and analog measuring tools and scale. A "classic" load for the cartridge he's reloading, with jacketed bullets is an easier start, and he should find a load in his reloading manuals before he buys power, primer, or bullets.

I've worked with/taught a few apprentices for Auto Electrics/Electronics and I've found the best and longest lasting/retention is start basic and simple...

Mus408

Hunter
When I started reloading I jumped right in with the Dillon 550B which for me was easy to get up and running. Later I found things go even smoother by doing decapping off the press for less mess and better cleaning of the brass and also doing the priming using the RCBS hand primer.
Coming from a machinist background I find ways to make improvements on any tooling issue on the press.
But yes I read a lot on the basic reloading skills and planning loads. powders and bullets.

grobin

Blackhawk
Just make sure that he knows the HF scale is useless for reloading. At best they are in grams & tenths. One gram is 15.432 grains and you need tenth of a grain accuracy!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Show your friend a good source for reloading equipment, like Midway or one of the other online stores where he can compare equipment. Make sure he knows about the big manufactures of equipment like RCBS, Lee, Hornady and Lyman.

...oh and some books.

jgt

Buckeye
sounds like you need to call time out and have a serious talk with your friend. Since he believes he can buy things you are not recommending, he is either getting mixed signals from you or he is ignoring your advice. I would want to know if he really wants to get into reloading or does he just want to make something go "bang"? If he just want to make something go "bang" all he needs is a set of lee dies and a mallet.
As for labs going to digital scales...…I think you will find those digital scales sell for several thousand dollar compared to ones being offered to reloaders. The balance beam scales are not obsolete they are just not the latest fad.
If I had a friend that would continue to go off on his own and buy equipment I had not recommended, I would be afraid he would do the same with his reloading practices. That kind of person will likely soon be missing eyes or fingers and guess who he will blame?

RandyP

Bearcat
I did see two Harbor Freight sub-$15 digital scales that do register in grains, but personally use one off Amazon for under$40.

I would agree that if your buddy tends to not follow advice? Remember the sage counsel that "No good deed goes unpunished." Cut yer losses quickly before he suffers any. I LUV Lee reloading gear but would instead recommend their Classic Turret, reloading's Best Buy.

loaded round

Hunter
Jgt: Not trying to start a spitting contest with you, but you're incorrect regarding digital balances. Laboratory grade digital balances can be purchased from around 500.00 to 10,000.00. Price depends on what precision and readability you require. These digital balances are not a fad but have replaced the beam balance and are here to stay. Beam balances in the scientific industry have all gone to the laboratory in the sky along with corrosive primers and black powder. I've been in the scientific field for 37 years and have worked in labs half that time. If we discuss this further, the proper name for a beam instrument is a scale. Balance denotes a digital instrument in the scientific field. BTW, you can buy a decent digital balance for around 50.00 for reloading as long as reads to at least one decimal place ( two would be better) assuming there is a calibration weight included.

jgt said:
sounds like you need to call time out and have a serious talk with your friend. Since he believes he can buy things you are not recommending, he is either getting mixed signals from you or he is ignoring your advice. I would want to know if he really wants to get into reloading or does he just want to make something go "bang"? If he just want to make something go "bang" all he needs is a set of lee dies and a mallet.
As for labs going to digital scales...…I think you will find those digital scales sell for several thousand dollar compared to ones being offered to reloaders. The balance beam scales are not obsolete they are just not the latest fad.
If I had a friend that would continue to go off on his own and buy equipment I had not recommended, I would be afraid he would do the same with his reloading practices. That kind of person will likely soon be missing eyes or fingers and guess who he will blame?

Mus408

Hunter
Well he bought 2 new scales...a Frankfort Arsenal digital and a Lee beam scale at Cabela's yesterday.
He is getting started with loading .44 Magnum for his new Marlin lever rifle.
I told him 9 gr. of Unique with a 240 gr. bullet is a great load to start with for target and steel plinking,which is what I use.
He also picked up some load manuals.

RandyP

Bearcat
Good news.

Regarding the MUCH maligned Lee beam scale. It is an extremely accurate and sensitive thing of wonder. It is also really cumbersome at weighing an unknown because the adjustments are so finely marked and "fiddly".

However it actually works very well to confirm a desired weight. If you really want 1/20 of a grain powder accuracy with any powder, set the ball and poise indicators to the weight desired and trickle the powder into the pan. When the beam lines up, you ARE there exactly.

And as I've already mentioned elsewhere, I use and LUV an economical digital scale, and my old geezer eyeballs thank me - lol