Loading Manual

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Moey

Bearcat
I have 3 really old manuals from the 80's. In the market for a new one and need suggestions. I shoot TC's, Rugers Revolvers in 327, 357, 41. Plus 223, 204, 30 Herrett, 357 max. What's a good all around one?

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I've had many Manuals over the years and have sold most of them.
I think I still have a couple Hornady and a Speer.
What I mostly use is the manual "One Book/One Caliber."
They are cheaply made but they have all the manufactures data you need.
It's photo copies of actual manuals.
Anytime I get a new caliber I just get a new book.
Or I use the internet to find data. Nosler, Speer, and Barnes all have good web pages for they're reloading data. Hodgdon and all the other powder manufactures also have great web pages showing they're data.

Gutshot

Single-Sixer
I do not know what the availability of the components is in your area but years ago about the only brand of jacketed bullets in my area was Sierra and Speer thus I started out with a Sierra and Speer manuals

Just a thought
Jeff

grobin

Blackhawk
IMHO the two best are the Ruger and the Lyman 50th. They are both available for Kindle if that appeals. I've a "One Book/One Caliber." and it's OK when one is available which covers a caliber you want; but they get expensive for more than one or two cartridges. I have several others I also use and the powder and bullet makers online sites are good. You can likely do fine with just the free online sites (stick to manufactures' sites though). Always workup from a minimum load, different guns can produce startlingly different results.

contender

Ruger Guru
I think several manuals are necessary to be able to study & decide upon the correct components when assembling ammo. I use Hornady, Speer, Lyman, Hodgdon, Nosler, & Barnes.

grobin

Blackhawk
SweetWilliam sorry my fingers followed my thoughts not reality. It's the Hornady manual.

Enigma

Hunter
If manuals from the '80s are 'really old,' what does that make my manuals from the '40s and '50s? Relax, I use them for reference and entertainment! I agree that you should have a variety of reloading manuals, and favor the current Lyman manual, along with a Hornady and/or Speer manual.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
The manuals from 50's are interesting to read. My Ideal-Lyman 1953,,,even has an editorial section. Shooters considered store bought inferior. Men would "Bang" them off to get brass to reload. They called them "Shells". Instead of empty brass.

mikld

Blackhawk
Ideally you would want at least two; a generic manual, Lyman 50th, and a manual from the manufacturer of the jacketed bullets you are using. Hornady, Speer, Nosler, etc. I have the newest Lyman 50th and a Hornady and Nosler manuals (plus a dozen older and odd manuals)...

There is way more in a reloading manual than just load data, which is why I use "full" reloading manuals and not compilations (one caliber load pamphlets). Even after 40 years of reloading it's nice to have charts, new info at hand.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I agree with contender, why limit yourself to one manual, when all of them are available. I found the recent #15 Speer manual to be excellent reading and I'm waiting on the #6 Sierra manual. I have most every manual printed since 1965. I also buy the Hodgdon annual manual for updated loads on new products. The mentioned internet sources are very useful, as well. What I do know over 52 years of reloading, if one finds the same load in multiple sources, it's been thoroughly tested and will probably be a good starting point to work up a load. Bob!! :D