My Lee Classic Turret Press is Defective

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RandyP

Bearcat
At least I'm guessing it MUST be defective. I've been using it for about 10 years and have loaded thousands of rounds in several calibers, handgun and rifle.

In that same timeframe I've read a whole lot of folks trashing the machine as nearly worthless and suggesting that unless it's blue, green or different shade of red it is a boat anchor at best.

I can report that I'm still on the original black plastic square ratchet (a supposed weak link), I prime on press without issue, use only Lee dies without a failure or problem, and in general find the machine to be built plenty strong enough and plenty reliable enough for all my ammo needs.

Therefore, there must be something amiss with this press, as so many 'experts' out there assure me I'm doomed.

I could be mistaken - LOL

wwb

Hunter
I used one for about 5 years with no problems whatsoever.... sold it and bought a Dillon 550 just because it turns out more rounds per hour, and caliber change is easier.

roashooter

Single-Sixer
My RCBS is also defective....used continuous for 45years...

corrected the years....old age and math...

jgt

Buckeye
I think you may possibly be confusing the negative remarks about the Lee 1000 Progressive press with the Lee Classic Turret press. The Classic Turret press is used by many of my friends and is highly regarded. The Lee 1000 Progressive was a press produced to compete with the RCBS, Hornady Lock and Load, and the Dillon line of progressive presses. The Lee 1000 would not find a home in my loading room.

I used one turret press so much the aluminum housing that the turret rotates in wore until I was getting too much die movement. Replaced it with another and kept going. Mine has morphed into a "semi-progressive" that loads sized and primed .223 cases in one cycle around the circle.
On the other hand, I have literally ZERO confidence in any of the LEE press mounted priming systems and simply won't mess with those.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
The on press priming on my classic turret works quite well for me. I like the extra leverage you get with on press priming, and since I already have the shell in the press, it saves time over hand priming.

I don't trust the "primer canons" on some of the progressives.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
I love mine and have recommended it to many others over the years. The only thing i added was the micrometer adjuster in the powder feed.

mikld

Blackhawk
I started with Lee in '69. I had a Lee Loader, a Craftsman plastic mallet, one pound of Alliant Bullseye, a sleeve of CCI primers, 100 generic cast lead bullets, and a generic log, 6"x 18". Since then I have used nearly all the popular reloading tools and equipment and have had no more problems with Lee tools/equipment than any other manufacturer...

I believe many of the complaints about Lee is from "mechanically challenged" users, those that don't read instructions and tool snobs...

RandyP

Bearcat
To all those who read my original post and take it far more seriously than I was when I wrote it....lol.

I am merely delighted that, as is the case with many other hobbies, there IS a way for all to participate in the fun hobby of reloading at all interest, need and budget levels. I do firmly believe that if Lee didn't exist and continue making their fine affordable products many would have never started reloading in the first place.

RandyP said:
To all those who read my original post and take it far more seriously than I was when I wrote it....lol.

I am merely delighted that, as is the case with many other hobbies, there IS a way for all to participate in the fun hobby of reloading at all interest, need and budget levels. I do firmly believe that if Lee didn't exist and continue making their fine affordable products many would have never started reloading in the first place.
I was going to PM you my address, so I could take it off your hands! :shock: :mrgreen:
gramps

Enigma

Hunter
I own and use Lee equipment, along with a different red, green, another shade of green, blue, another (older) shade of blue stuff, etc. Everything that I have kept (well, there IS the Hornady hand priming tool... just saying) works, or else it goes away. I think that Lee has some really good ideas. Some are well executed, and some are not. I think that striving to maintain their price point in the market causes them to under-engineer some items, and they suffer reliability or performance issues because of that.

I do agree that a lot of people get started on Lee equipment, and that's always a good thing. We need more reloaders, and gun owners in general.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
RandyP said:

Hi,

And you would have a lot of agreement, Randy!

For many years I've heard and seen it written that the other big names in reloading all owe Lee a debt of gratitude for getting people started at prices they can afford. I imagine there are one or two others out there who look at a new hobby like I do: how inexpensively can I get in, just in case I don't like it? Then, if I do like whatever it is, it seems the extra money for "better" equipment is almost always much easier to find and justify as an "upgrade" than as an initial purchase.

As a lot of you do, I have several "colors" of equipment on the bench or in the closet waiting their turn to do some job. I honestly don't believe anyone in the reloading business today intentionally makes a bad product. One of the great things about reloading is we have a single goal--to produce accurate, reliable and safe ammo--but often several different ways of achieving that goal. Those different ways probably sell more equipment than the actual quality or longevity of a particular individual piece of equipment. Some stuff just feels "better" in our hands, or works "easier, faster, blah, blah." And some is simply better suited to the job we're trying to do. So there's plenty of room for competition, and we benefit from it!

Rick C

wallacem

Bearcat
Bought my new Lyman Spar-T press in 1967. STill use it today, 52yrs later, never a single problem. About 20 yrs ago i found one used just like it and bought it for the day mine wore out. The new one is still sitting on the shelf, waiting patiently its time.

snakeeyes4445

Single-Sixer
Fun thread.....we all enjoy reloading accurate ammo, and usually like whatever we got started with. Without Lee's price point, many of us would not have gotten started. I can now afford the best and fastest progressives out there, but still buy all of Lee's products, even the Pro 1000s of which I have two. You need to enjoy tinkering if you own those, but they produce excellent reloads once you spend many years making a lot of mistakes.
Take time to watch all of their instructional videos and read all of their instruction and you will have a shorter learning curve. The people at Lee are great and will do anything for you.
They also speak my language which is Green Bay Packer, so we understand each other.

nitro-express

Bearcat
Enigma said:
I own and use Lee equipment, along with a different red, green, another shade of green, blue, another (older) shade of blue stuff, etc. Everything that I have kept (well, there IS the Hornady hand priming tool... just saying) works, or else it goes away. I think that Lee has some really good ideas. Some are well executed, and some are not. I think that striving to maintain their price point in the market causes them to under-engineer some items, and they suffer reliability or performance issues because of that.

I do agree that a lot of people get started on Lee equipment, and that's always a good thing. We need more reloaders, and gun owners in general.

Just about sums up my experience. I have a fair bit of LEE equipment and like most of it. I do however take issue with LEE's non cam over press design. I prefer the cam over feel, even modufied my classic cast so it would cam over. It must be defective as it failed to break as so many predicted. It now has a shipload of force and I'm sure with a bit of abuse it could break.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
nitro-express said:
I do however take issue with LEE's non cam over press design. I prefer the cam over feel, even modufied my classic cast so it would cam over. It must be defective as it failed to break as so many predicted. It now has a shipload of force and I'm sure with a bit of abuse it could break.

Hi,

I have both Lee and RCBS presses, with a Pacific and an old Texan thrown in. Some cam over, some don't, and I've honestly never developed a real preference. So just for giggles, what is it about the cam over design you like better than the other?

Rick C

mikld

Blackhawk
As a lifelong machinist/mechanic, I see no advantage for "cam over". "Camming over" (and I never heard that term used for over top dead center) can be thought of as slop in the linkage of the press, allowing the handle to raise the ram as high as it will go and then go beyond top dead center, and lowering the ram a bit. I much prefer a solid stop, maybe adjustable but that's not absolutely necessary as I can adjust every die I own...