Powder for 45 colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triker

Single-Sixer
Using MBC 250 gr lrnfp bullets, brinnel hardness 12. Want to get 800-900 fps. Any powder better than unique for this. No Chrono, so can't test myself. Right now am using 8.0 gr unique. Revolver is Ruger Redhawk.

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I started out with Unique but after a while the dirty burning caused so much black on my hands from shooting that I switched to Hodgdon Universal and haven't looked back. Universal has very similar burn characteristics as Unique but no more black hands. For full power loads H110 is great but I can't slow them down to the velocity you are looking for.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
The powders that I like are, 1st choice is Unique,
Alliant Red Dot, Alliant Bullseye, American Select,
and Long Shot (for my Bear Load). Trail Boss (last place).

My current 45 Colt reload is:
250gr RNFP round nose flat point Oregon Trail,
SWC semi wad cutter works also the same.
6.0 grs Alliant Red Dot.
CCI LP large pistol.
Medium roll crimp (what I think is medium).
Approx. 800fps. An accurate reload for me.
From Brian Pearce in Handloading Magazine.

For Lead free performance I Tumble Lube bullets with
Ben's Liquid Lube formula (Topic over on Castboolits).

There is a lot of excellent advise here.
Good luck in your endeavors.

mikld

Blackhawk
Lots of powders work well in the 45 Colt. Unique of course, but some find light loads of Unique burn "dirty" I am using Universal (I couldn't fund Unique during a panic several years ago and discovered Universal), some CFE for Pistol, and True blue. I even have some loads of Trail Boss that are fun shooting. Check out Lyman's #4 Cast Bullet Handbook for specific load data. Some will easily reach your target of 800-900 fps, and "Ruger Only" loads are pretty impressive...

Rclark

Hunter
Lots of loads will work For a 250g RNFP to get to ~850-950 fps out of 5 1/2" barrel
8.0g Universal
8.0g Unique
8.0g 20/28
8.0g BE-86
6.5g Red Dot
7.0g Green Dot (my goto load at this time)
8.0g W231
8.5g CFE Pistol
8.5g Power Pistol

And if you've a mind to get a bit dirtier... 23g (by weight) of 777 is a good smokey load.

Can't say any are better/worst than Unique, but there's a start. Some say Universal meters better. All meter fine for me. Of course do your own checks before using any of these loads (I did chronograph all these loads).

wwb

Hunter
Don't have a .45 Colt (but I do have a couple .45 ACP). I load "plinker" loads for .357 and .44 that are similar to what the OP is looking for. I saw Red Dot mentioned a couple times.... Hodgdon Clays is a dead ringer for Red Dot in terms of burn rate, but is a whole bunch cleaner.... even cleaner than the "new and improved" Red Dot that has been around for a few years now (the original Red Dot was sorta like burning Kingston charcoal). That's what I use for .357 and .44 at 900 fps or thereabouts.

As a serious shotgunner, I've loaded just about every powder in that range that you can think of, and Clays is the cleanest.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I didn't see any Accurate Arms powders listed. I don't own, or load for, a .45 Colt but I do use AA powders in five other handgun cartridges. Wouldn't AA#5 fit the need in the .45 Colt?

jd

Rclark

Hunter
Yes AA#5 would work just fine. I didn't mention it as there are 'lots' of powders that work, so I gave some examples, not all :) . I liked 11.0g AA#5 for around 961fps.

HS-6 works great, but it likes higher pressure loads which weren't asked for and what I like is above SAAMI (but still safe in my medium frame .45 Colt revolvers). I carry HS-6 powered cartridges for my Woods load. You can see a range here in the following article as Tier 2 loads : Brian Pearce .45 Colt article

Again do your own research.... What works for me, may not work for you.

mikld

Blackhawk
Threads like this remind me of my Rule #1; I pay little attention to any load data (none) from any forum expert, range rat, gun counter clerk, pet loads website, good intentioned friend, or gun shop guru. I have for well over 35 years used published reloading manuals for load data, and occasionally powder manufacturer's web sites. I keep a detailed log of all my loads on my computer and in a 3 ring binder in my shop and refer to that for repeating loads. In 1970 I had a squib and never a Kaboom! in all the time I've reloaded...

Jes an old guy's thinkin' (that has all his fingers)...

grobin

Blackhawk
I pretty much stick with the major vendor's web sites: Hornady, Western, Hodgdon, etc. or the manuals. If I need a load that isn't there then I look at the alternate suggestions, but I treat them as if I am working up the load from scratch so at most they are starting suggestions. So far I've had one stuck bullet (no big) and three signs of over pressure. I've witnessed one Glock get blown up (very hot load that should have been worked up to not just fired) and one stuck bullet. BTW using a blank to dislodge a stuck bullet seems to be a bad idea. A friend tried it after failing with a cleaning rod an had to get a gunsmith with a hydraulic press to remove it. Luckily the Blackhawk was not hurt although he got some second degree burns on his hand. It's better to start with a conservative minimum load and work up rather than risk damaging a gun or yourself

Rclark

Hunter
I pay little attention to any load data...
I actually pay a 'lot' of attention to any load data that is posted. If it sounds good, I'll check against my knowledge base (manuals/articles/binders of info/on-line manuals/my experience with the powder, etc.) and if it is a go, I'll test it for myself :) . Never had a 'kaboom' either since I started reloading back in the 80s..... YMMV of course, but there are 'knowledgeable' people in this world that can contribute to the collective knowledge base ... rather than re-inventing the wheel over and over and over again.... This isn't 'rocket' science....

sixshot

Buckeye
Always, Always refer to good reloading manuals when starting up any new load for any gun. And hopefully compare at least 2 manuals because you will see a difference because of different brass, or primers, or seating depth, etc. But the powders Rclark mentioned are old friends to the 45 Colt in quality six guns, just be cautious with everything you do when loading.
Really if you look at the burning rate charts there are so many good powders below 2400 that work great for mid range work in the 45 that it's hard to go wrong.
Having said that it's almost a sin to not have Unique on the reloading bench if you are a six gunner, especially now that most of us are powder coating & we can stop complaining about "dirty"! Never really understood that in the first place, if you've got a great load from a powder like Unique can't you just clean your gun once in a while, is it really that hard?
With powder coated bullets cleaning a six gun is almost a thing of the past except for a little oil on the front & rear of the cylinder once in a while.

Dick

I haven't found the current store bought Unique to be dirty at all - but I crimp all my loads pretty good with the Lee Factory Crimp die.
RClark suggestion of 7.0 grain of GreenDot I have found works quite well and shoots clean - I like it.

I've used TrailBoss also, but it is not as economical and I do not tend to shoot CAS type loads in my Blackhawks.
I also like 2400 for more 'potent' loads, but at 800-900 FPS with a plain 255gn LRN bullet I find unburned powder and it just cannot work efficiently with that (relatively) low pressure.

mikld

Blackhawk
Rclark said:
I pay little attention to any load data...
I actually pay a 'lot' of attention to any load data that is posted. If it sounds good, I'll check against my knowledge base (manuals/articles/binders of info/on-line manuals/my experience with the powder, etc.) and if it is a go, I'll test it for myself :) . Never had a 'kaboom' either since I started reloading back in the 80s..... YMMV of course, but there are 'knowledgeable' people in this world that can contribute to the collective knowledge base ... rather than re-inventing the wheel over and over and over again.... This isn't 'rocket' science....
If a newer reloader has his knowledge base in working order and his BS filter in high gear, then yes, it's OK to check load data on line/forums. "Collective knowledge base" can be fine if the contributors are deemed to only give legitimate, safe data, otherwise it's just a group BSing around. But (and that's a BIG but) anyone can proclaim himself an expert on a forum and post load data, regardless of how many posters are giving legitimate/safe data. I have seen more safe loads than dangerous loads on line but I have 35+ years of experience and a large library for reference and have seen some loads on forums that are questionable at best. If you, with experience and resources, want to use load data from a forum, good, but any newer reloader should be warned. If a newer reloader sees something posted on a forum by an "impressive" screen name with a high post count, he may take that info as gospel and use it without checking a manual or manufacturer's web site. At best a foolish move...

I have never gone wrong with starting a load workup with the starting data from my manual(s) and I record every load on my computer and in a 3-ring binder (my binders go back to '88, and lost one of my notebooks from '86 in a move). I can go back, see the results of a particular load and go from there, but a newer reloader may not have that info available and use "internet wisdom" and put himself and his guns in danger...

Rclark

Hunter
If a newer reloader has his knowledge base in working order and his BS filter in high gear, then yes
Of course ... but if you are new reloader you 'should' be cautious about what you read/use. If your not, then you shouldn't be reloading in the first place... Knowledge/experience is to be shared. It is up to 'every' individual on how he/she uses it. We can't be every ones keeper and try to protect us from ourselves... To me, it's like saying we should remove all guns from every house hold because some-one might mis-use one someday (and someone will/has) .... Then we'll all be safe and happy... Or as the media likes to harp on "it's for the children, if it saves just one life it is worth it...". No, share your knowledge/experience to the best of your ability and don't wring your hands about the 'if this, if thats" in this world :) .

mikld

Blackhawk
Rclark said:
If a newer reloader has his knowledge base in working order and his BS filter in high gear, then yes
Of course ... but if you are new reloader you 'should' be cautious about what you read/use. If your not, then you shouldn't be reloading in the first place... Knowledge/experience is to be shared. It is up to 'every' individual on how he/she uses it. We can't be every ones keeper and try to protect us from ourselves... To me, it's like saying we should remove all guns from every house hold because some-one might mis-use one someday (and someone will/has) .... Then we'll all be safe and happy... Or as the media likes to harp on "it's for the children, if it saves just one life it is worth it...". No, share your knowledge/experience to the best of your ability and don't wring your hands about the 'if this, if thats" in this world :) .
So I can post my load load 9.7 gr of Bullseye under a 160 gr SWC for my 2" 38 Special? And I swear it works fine in my '56 S&W snubbie. If a new reloader tries it and loosed a finger or two, then fine, it's his fault...

My original post was about my Rule #1 and my suggestion to new reloaders. I cannot see why anyone would object to a simple safety suggestion (unless they are the Bubba everyone talks about filling a 223 case with Bullseye). I have often felt reloading forums often go waaay overboard on safety often nearing "Chicken Little" thinking, but the replies to my simple safe reloading method is challenged as "over protective", "big brother" interference in new reloader's lives. If I am questioned about my experienced opinions and warnings then everything is postable (like I used max. 44 Magnum loads in my 44 Special and it worked fine.). Post anything you want, if some fool uses it then too bad, that's life...

Rclark

Hunter
Hey, don't get you back up :) . It is our responsibility is to post data that is correct and safe to the best of our ability. If it is beyond SAAMI, so note it when you post a load (or warnings). How it is 'used' isn't. That is all I am trying to say ... in a nice way... If bubba does loose two fingers, yes it is his fault. That's obvious. You certainly didn't hand him your hand loads or force him to load in his gun.... It is his judgement call to use the data. Common sense.... If one doesn't use what God gave him then Darwin wins. Nuff said on the subject :) .