Why "hot loads" ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pulaski

Single-Sixer
Question for the masses . Why "hot load" a cartridge ?
I see this all the time "interested in a hot load for a (fill in the cartridge).
Why not buy a bigger rifle or pistol ?
If you want to "hot load" a 45 colt why not buy a 454 Casull .
Just asking because I don't understand this concept .
Never "hot loaded" anything . I just went and bought a larger caliber .
Maybe it's just me but if you understand this philosophy enlighten me .
pulaski

gasbag

Blackhawk
It's a testosterone thing.
If my .357 makes a bigger bang than yours
I get 14 more chest hairs.

sixshot

Buckeye
I've always felt the same way, no need to stress a gun when there's already something bigger out there if you need to go bigger but some don't see it that way. Guess that's why they make chocolate & vanilla, so we have a choice.

Dick

grobin

Blackhawk
It's mostly a competition thing. Some pistol and rifle competitions score differently based on muzzle energy or have cartridge limitations. If you are a competitive shooter and go through ~500-1,000 rounds a week 9mm loaded hot is much cheaper than 45ACP normal loads.

A few of us are trying to fix a particular perceived problem with a given cartridge. e.g. 9mm is disappointing in a PCC as the standard loads are developed for shorty pistols. Eliminating hot loads for shorties gives a leg up when loading for a 16" barrel instead of a 3.5" barrel. But what you really want isn't a hot load but rather a slower burning powder than is normal.

There is the macho factor-I can pinch a hole in that iron target and your wimp loads cant!!

Rclark

Hunter
If you want to "hot load" a 45 colt why not buy a 454 Casull
Well, maybe because my .45 Colt revolvers can do everything I need them to do ... and I don't have to spend more money on another revolver, brass, bullets, and dies ;) . Keep in mind I don't 'hot rod' mine to the max (say 33K), but I do carry loads that are a bit warmer when I head into the woods. Maybe hitting 20K instead of 14K in my Rugers..... Most all of my shooting is in the sub 14K region.

As for 'hot loads' in .44Mag or .357Mag ... Probably because they can (some for above reason I assume as well, others because they are evidently heading to Africa or some such place) and reloading books tend to show only 'magnum' loads.... Ie. Just looked at a Speer manual #10 and under .44Mag and it show 11.6g min (1250fps) to 12.6g Max (1361fps) Unique under a 240g Jacketed Bullet. I always thought that is silly, because you can certainly load down to 800fps (or lower) loads using Unique if desired! But dutifully following the 'manual' ... you get hot loads ... Sure you can go to the .44 Special tables and get some ideas ... But not in the .44 Mag section. I personally load 'down' because I can for a much more enjoyable shooting session. But what I enjoy isn't necessarily what someone else gets a kick out of or needs/wants! No pun intended...

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't think it's mainly a competition thing as mentioned above. I shoot USPSA,, and most folks want a load to just make Major,, w/o any extra recoil. However, in steel silhouette, power does help in knocking down steel.

I think it's mostly a macho thing by many of the "non-active shooting bunch." I have a lot of friends who like to shoot. They want "Hot" or "Magnum" loads etc. I know many of them hunt,, and want the biggest, baddest, most powerful ammo they can get for their gun.
When I start explaining about accuracy, and how a gun should be matched to the ammo for accuracy, they all want accuracy,, but they want it hot too. They fail to fully accept the fact that many guns are much more accurate with a medium or even milder load than the hot-rod ones.
I fully agree,, if you want more power,, go bigger.
None of it matters if you can't hit what you are aiming at.

That said,, some guns, and even some calibers often seem to perform better with top end loads. THAT'S where you can accept hot loads,, if the gun prefers them.

When I was younger, my tractors were pushed to the horsepower limit, my pickups had "power enhancing modifications", I was strong enough to do things guys much bigger struggled with, and my handloads often left ejector marks on the case head.
I don't "need" those things much anymore although I knew an old man who had those tendencies all the way to his grave.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Old low pressure rounds in modern guns can can be safely increased in pressure for more functionality.
Modern cartridges in over-built guns can also be safely increased in pressure for more functionality. Com-pren-de ???

rmc25

Single-Sixer
Those who remember the writings of Mel Tappen will recall one of his main themes. Ego aside - "When you find yourself using maximum loads most of the time what you really need is more gun."
pulaski, looks like you have the same philosophy. So do I.
rmc

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
There are legit reasons, but mostly in long range rifles, imho (1000yds and up). A hotter load means faster mv ->flatter trajectory->longer range & higher on target energy for the same bullet weight/design. But it's not for amateurs. Rifling twist, barrel length, and internal ballistics must also be considered. Ideally, you match these and several other factors to obtain the best possible outcome for whatever your goal is.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Hear are a couple of questions along the same line. Why do some people load/shoot light bullets? heavy bullets? soft loads? heavy loads? Why do they shoot high power rifles? pistol caliber rifles? What use is a 50 BMG?

btw I wouldn't want a weak load in Bear country. :D

RandyP

Bearcat
Keep upping the charge .1 gr at a time until the gun explodes.... then back off .2 gr.

I could be mistaken - lol

NOTE: Meant as humor - you kids out there.....DON'T up the charge until your gun explodes!

powder smoke said:
Nothing wrong with getting the most out of a cartridge. Take the 45 Colt for example,
Out of a good revolver that sucker can really stand out! Why not? ps

.45 Colt is a great example. Modern revolvers and modern components beg for this load to be hotrodded, creating a really dual-purpose gun.

Some other examples are some factory loads that are now routinely downloaded below what the cartridge was originally designed. .357 comes to mind. Why not load them as originally intended and get the benefit of the originally loading?

How 'bout 10mm Auto? Now routinely loaded far below the original design. Now, when we can find loads loaded to the original pressures, we're cautioned, even by Ruger, against using +P loads. These are not +P !

mikld

Blackhawk
When I got my first .44 Magnum and started reloading for it, I had a raging case of "Magnumitis". I quickly worked up my loads to near max and sometimes right at max. I liked the huge muzzle blast, the wrist breaking recoil and mebbe the looks I got from other shooters at the range (?). Most of it was being able to control and get good results from "The most powerful handgun in the world", at that time. I started with 38 Special, and when that became too tame, I went to the 357 Magnum, then "needing" more power (ugh, more power!) I got my first 44 Magnum. I wasn't into hot rods or big shiny trucks and the other factors in my life were "normal" I just liked big guns (I'd ask a Psychiatrist if I really wanted an answer, but I don't). For some, big powerful guns adds cojones to their britches, but I just enjoyed the big guys and didn't brag about them either... :wink:

BTW that was 30 years ago and my loads today are sane...

pulaski

Single-Sixer
Thank You .
I have always been of the mind , go buy a bigger or smaller , pistol , rifle or shotgun .
Maybe it's me .
Thanks pulaski

375supermag

Blackhawk
Hi...
Most of my handloads are pretty much in the middle of the road power wise.
I do load some hotter rounds for hunting although almost always below book maximum.
I much prefer an accurate mid range load to an inaccurate full power load.

mikld

Blackhawk
pulaski said:
Thank You .
I have always been of the mind , go buy a bigger or smaller , pistol , rifle or shotgun .
Maybe it's me .
Thanks pulaski
Nope, not just you. I've done the same, I started with 22 lr, went to 38 Special, then 357, then 44 Special, and then 44 Magnum. In the late '80s there wasn't much more powerful in a production gun than the 44 Magnum so I took advantage of reloading "hot" for it...

Latest posts