Case lube recommendation for a progressive press.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loaded round

Hunter
Hey guys: I'm a long time reloader but never afraid to ask for an opinion. I load .556(.223 Rem), 308 military brass, and 9 press.mm on a Dillon XL650 progressive press. I have found over the past several years that the best case lube bar none is Imperial Sizing Lube. However it is extremely slow using this lube with a progressive press. What I'm looking for/need is a spray type lube whereas I dump all my brass in a plastic jar several hundred at a time, spray with lube, cover and shake, then start to reload. I've used the Dillon lube and was not pleased at all with it. any suggestions that work well with you guys? thanks.

WMB30

Single-Sixer
Suggest Hornady One Shot. I spread out 300 rounds or so of pistol, revolver brass, give a quick spray, let it dry for a minute and start loading.

Bill

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I use carbide sizer on all straight walled pistol brass without lube, but when I load 5.56Nato on my progressive I use Hornady Oneshot lube. I don't think I would try the shaking bag technique though. I put the brass into a load block and spray them with a light coat of Oneshot and wait a minute or two and load them. It really takes very little of this lube to get them through the sizing die without sticking.

grobin

Blackhawk
I don't lube straight wall cases including 45/70! I use Hornady Oneshot lube but I don't get it in the neck. That really messed up accuracy.

Blackhawk Convertable

Single-Sixer
Put your brass in a plastic bucket. Get your fingers lubed with the Imperial Wax. Then stick your hand into the brass and move the brass around a bit. Do this one or two more times and all the brass will be lubed. Then when you are ready to size/deprime, you can quickly roll the piece of brass around once in your fingers to insure it is well lubed. Easy-Peasy...

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
I just lube a case here and there as the press gets a bit harder to operate and use the RCBS lube same as I have for most of my life.

I don't lube straight wall cases going into a carbide die. I do use "spray on" lube for .223 cases but size on a single stage. I don't trust spray lube for larger cases.

7p's

Single-Sixer
I have to "assume" the Hornady One Shot is working well for you, as it does for me. If it doesn't seem to work worth a hoot - the problem is you're not allowing the spray liquid to dry sufficiently. I spray and leave the cases set for 5 minutes sometimes longer if I'm loading powder/primers etc. I've sprayed cases and left them for 30/45 minutes while doing a honey-do project and they reloaded slicker than snot - cases were Remington 223.

Reloading 308/30-06 cases I still use Imperial, just cus.

RSIno1

Hunter
I use the Hornady One Shot. I use a 1 gallon zip loc bag - fill it about 1/2 full give it a couple shots of lube seal it up and shake it for a while.

sixshot

Buckeye
Hornady One Shot is great stuff & I use it all the time, I use it for brass & I use it for sizing my powder coated bullets because they can get tight, especially if you use a Star sizer. Having said that Hornady One Shot can get expensive if you are doing large volumes of bottle neck cases & there's a better, cheaper way if you shoot competition with a 223 or 308, etc.
You'll need some Iso HEET & some Liquid Lanolin. I'd have to look a my notes but I think it's 2oz of the Lanolin & the full 12oz of the Iso HEET, mix it up in a large spray bottle & put a whole bunch of brass in a large tub & spray it, shake it a bit, spray again & it will lube hundreds & hundreds of cases with ease.
This is how many, many of the serious competition shooters lube their brass. Again, I might be off on the Lanolin, its been so long since I've had to mix any. A spray bottle full will last you a very long time.

pvoFBOVh.jpg

Dick

Dale53

Blackhawk
Many years ago I was shooting IPSC. It was both pistol and rifle. My rifle was a .308 (HK-91). Ed Harris (former NRA Staffer and Ruger Developement Engineer) suggested a great way to lube brass when you had a lot to do on a progressive press (as well as single stage). Buy a tube of Lee case lube. It is water soluble. Simply mix it 10-1 with water (one part lube and 10 parts water). I discovered a french fry basket that fit a .50 caliber machine gun ammo box. I mixed up the lube, put the cases in the basket, dipped them in the lube, then let them drain and dry. The cases were lubed inside and out. The lube, after drying, is inert as far as powder is concerned. Not only were the cases lubed well outside, the lube inside gave NO drag on the expander stem. It was a BETTER than excellent method of lubing cases. I could lube large numbers of cases, put them in a box ready to go way in advance of needing them without issue.

FWIW
Dale53

loaded round

Hunter
Sixshot: Your formula for sizing brass reminds me of a story when I first started to reload some 45 years ago. All the then old-timers, both at my gun club and the gun rag writers always recommended using Lanolin for resizing 38 spec/357 mag brass for the first caliber that I reloaded. Since I worked for a chemical supply house , it was no problem getting a pound bottle of anhydrous Lanolin. The Lanolin was the best and today still the best case lubricant I have ever used. However, and that's a big however, Lanolin is completely insoluble in water or any common household product and tumbling had little effect on the lubricant either. Only to remove it was to wipe each individual case with a dry rag. Took me twice as long to clean my primed cases than to load them on my Lyman Tru-Line Jr. press. Ah, the memories of reloading!

Raw sheep wool has lanolin. To clean it we used hot water, and a small amount of Dawn detergent to soak it-NO AGITATION. I run brass cases through my oily hair, as I did the diaper pins.
gramps