.38 Spl. reloads will not fit in cylinder chamber.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kwh

Bearcat
Appreciate all the help. This problem did not just happen. But I have been more serious problem solving past 3 weeks.
I am a hobbyist reloader. I reload for .380 acp, .38 Spl, .357 mag ,.327 Fed.mag, 9mm, 45 acp ,12 ga. .223 .30/06. Started 55 years ago with a simple Lee loader using the hammer into the die kit.
Following more suggestions.:: Yes,I have resized more than once, but the brass has always dropped in easily before bullet seating and crimp. Overall case length is spot on. I chamfered brass yesterday. Loaded shells are measured, and I can not detect differences. I do not have a micrometer. Revolver cylinders cleaned again.
All factory rounds drop-in the Ruger. All reloads drop-in in my S&W Mod. 19.
Yesterday I separated brass by Mfg. Dies were set to load Federal brass. All Federals would drop in. Using brass by WWC, Amerc, WCCL,WCC, CFL none would fully chamber in my Ruger. CBC & PMC was variable. All were fine in the S&W.
I have not yet tried my brass by Win or Remington.
I am thinking it is tight cylinders in the Ruger. A simple solution will be to separate brass by Mfg to see which works. Next will be to have cylinders checked, if that plan does not go well.
Still confused why some brass will chamber, and other brass will not, in the Ruger SP101.
I have three Ruger SP101's. Really like the size and grip. .22 L.R. .38 Spl. & .32 Federal Mag.
Thanks to all for helpful problem solving.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
kwh said:
Appreciate all the help. This problem did not just happen. But I have been more serious problem solving past 3 weeks.
I am a hobbyist reloader. I reload for .380 acp, .38 Spl, .357 mag ,.327 Fed.mag, 9mm, 45 acp ,12 ga. .223 .30/06. Started 55 years ago with a simple Lee loader using the hammer into the die kit.
Following more suggestions.:: Yes,I have resized more than once, but the brass has always dropped in easily before bullet seating and crimp. Overall case length is spot on. I chamfered brass yesterday. Loaded shells are measured, and I can not detect differences. I do not have a micrometer. Revolver cylinders cleaned again.
Yesterday I separated brass by Mfg. Dies were set to load Federal brass. All Federals would drop in. Using brass by WWC, Amerc, WCCL,WCC, CFL none would fully chamber in my Ruger. CBC & PMC was variable. All were fine in the S&W.
I am thinking it is tight cylinders in the Ruger. A simple solution will be to separate brass by Mfg to see which works. Next will be to have cylinders checked, if that plan does not go well.
Still confused why some brass will chamber, and other brass will not, in the Ruger SP101.
I have three Ruger SP101's. Really like the size and grip. .22 L.R. .38 Spl. & .32 Federal Mag.

That needs to be the first thing fixed! Theres no way to really know whats wrong without measuring.
$17 on amazon have it Wednesday
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GSLKIW/ref=twister_B01FS60FBY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

kwh

Bearcat
Galaxiedan said:
kwh said:

That needs to be the first thing fixed! Theres no way to really know whats wrong without measuring.
$17 on amazon have it Wednesday
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GSLKIW/ref=twister_B01FS60FBY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I have a vernier caliper and have done all measurements. Every thing I can measure is with-in specs.

kwh

Bearcat
Clovishound said:
kwh said:
I have three Ruger SP101's.

Perhaps it's because some brass is thicker than others.
Sounds very reasonable> I will continue to try more different brands of my fired brass to see if they fit.

RandyP

Bearcat
"Perhaps it's because some brass is thicker than others."

Not really, the SAAMI OD spec does not change regardless of case 'thickness' - thickness will affect case capacity and perhaps pressure, but not exterior dimensions.

Dan in MI

Staff member
I am in process of separating all my .38/357mag/357 max dies into three sets. One specific set for each caliber. Much to my surprise I have seen across three brands of dies that they size slightly differently. Including two dies of the same brand. Much like the cylinder chambers the dies may be a little different. Possibly trying a different die set will cure all your ills. It's definitely an easy fix.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
RandyP said:
"Perhaps it's because some brass is thicker than others."

Not really, the SAAMI OD spec does not change regardless of case 'thickness' - thickness will affect case capacity and perhaps pressure, but not exterior dimensions.

If you have two cases, one with case walls that are .001 thicker than the other, then when you seat a bullet of the same diameter in both, the outside dimension(where the bullet is seated), of the thicker case will be .002 more than the thinner case.

The rest of the case will be the same diameter as it was sized.

kwh

Bearcat
With everyone's help, this is my final conclusion.
Loaded more rounds today. Brass = Win, WW, Rem, RP, Peters. All fit.
So far, brass that did not fit was less well known, foreign Mfg. (^^Clovishound ^^ has a good answer).
Regardless of brand, brass was very "fussy" to reload. Crimp and OAL had to be just right. Adjusted by trial and error.
Conclusion. Tight chambers in Ruger, combined with thicker cases is the problem.
Thanks again to everyone for all the thoughtful advice.