Case Lubrication

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Okay, so here's the deal. I quit shooting rifles (and therefore reloading for them) about twenty years ago (maybe more). Now, I find myself getting back into rifle shooting and am fairly certain technology has advanced in that time. What is everyone using to lube bottle neck cases before resizing? Last time I did this it was with my trusty RCBS lube pad and powdered graphite for the inside of the neck.

Chief 101

Hunter
I like sizing wax like Imperial, or Hornady...I'm sure there is others. Apply to hands then rub cases... kills 2 birds with one wipe, cases are inspected wth the fingers and a good lube. I use a bronze brush with a handle I made with small amount of wax for inside of necks...using a brush with thousands of case necks lubed means I don't have to reapply the lube as it takes so little...there are some that still use the graphite method and it works also...there are many methods, this one works for me.

wwb

Hunter
Chief 101 said:
I like sizing wax like Imperial..........

Yup. Imperial wax for me.... I've tried a couple different spray case lubricants, and quickly went back to the wax. I brush the inside of the case necks, but I do it dry before I tumble the cases.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
Same for me - both Imperial and Hornady Unique case lube work great. Won't go wrong with either one.

The Hornady Unique is a bit cheaper and comes in a larger container.

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I started out with RCBS lube pad then graduated to Imperial sizing wax but when a friend introduced me to Hornady One shot I tried it and never looked back. I have heard some report that the One Shot caused cases to stick in the sizer die, well, all I can say is they either didn't get coverage (doesn't take very much at all but does have to lube every case) or they didn't wait a full minute to start sizing. Try the Hornady One Shot spray, you'll like it as there isn't the mess on your hands like the others!

I dropped the RCBS pad about 10 years ago for Hornady spray. I suppose it costs more and there maybe better lube available, but it works and is easy to apply. So I still use it.

wwb

Hunter
Luckyducker said:
....... when a friend introduced me to Hornady One shot I tried it and never looked back. I have heard some report that the One Shot caused cases to stick in the sizer die........
I tried it, and didn't use it very long before I switched back to wax. Never had a case stick, but it was noticably harder to lower the ram. Felt like the cases were on the verge of sticking in the die - never felt like that with Imperial wax.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
bayou5252 said:
Same for me - both Imperial and Hornady Unique case lube work great. Won't go wrong with either one.

Here is the way I do it with 30-30 and 308 cases. I put a small dab on my index finger and then deposit a tiny amount on about 6 cases until there is none left on my finger and then I go back and smear the wax around on the cases with my fingers and then I run my finger over the top/mouth of the case to deposit a tiny bit inside the lip.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/758495/hornady-unique-case-lube-4-oz-tub

Chief 101

Hunter
gramps said:
Oh wow! You all pay for lube? Since we used to run diaper pins through our hair, that is what I do with my cases. Works for me.
gramps
what is hair?

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
bayou5252 said:

Here is the way I do it with 30-30 and 308 cases. I put a small dab on my index finger and then deposit a tiny amount on about 6 cases until there is none left on my finger and then I go back and smear the wax around on the cases with my fingers and then I run my finger over the top/mouth of the case to deposit a tiny bit inside the lip.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/758495/hornady-unique-case-lube-4-oz-tub

Yep- same procedure for me. Lubing all of the cases as a batch, in the manner you've described, then sizing all of them as a batch seems to be more efficient all the way around..

5of7

Hunter
Alberto VO5 works for me.

I discovered by accident that it is one of the best lubes for sizing rifle brass. Just a little dab on the palm of one hand, then rub your hands together....just as if you are going to put it on your hair....then just pick up the brass by the handful and roll them between your hands and there you have it. No lube dents or stuck brass. And if you have anything else in the house that squeaks it'll take care of that too.

Comes right off the brass with a little lighter fluid, and off the hands with an old towel. 8)