.256 Win Mag, Question On Crimp

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
I have located some new .256 Win Mag brass, Hornady 60 grain flatpoint bullets and some H2400 powder. Both reloading manuals I have say to use small rifle primers rather than pistol primers which I find interesting. I have a good supply of both.

I wish to duplicate factory loads for my Hawkeye. I have quite a bit of experience reloading bottlenecked rifle cartridges and straight walled handgun cartridges but am unsure of how to treat the .256 Win Mag. The Hornady bullets have a cannelure, should I apply a moderate roll crimp into the cannelure or treat this round like any bottlenecked rifle cartridges and just seat any bullet to the proper length, cannelure or not and let the case neck tension do its job ? Any tips for reloading for a Hawkeye are appreciated.

mikld

Blackhawk
While I don't reload 256 Win Mag. I do reload several bottle necked rifle cartridges. I normally use the bullet manufacturer's suggested OAL and if the cannalure lines up, good, but no big deal if it doesn't. Is your Hawkeye a singleshot handgun or a rifle? If a handgun, it may not need a crimp...

Gutshot

Single-Sixer
I have a 256 revolver I definitely crimp my reloads. I also feel a consistent crimp gives a more consistent burn on the powder.

Jeff