Bragging on the 25/06

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I may have mentioned having a bum shooting shoulder. Last year the 7mm Rem mag hurt to the point of tears and I said "enough". I've been using the 25/06 for close to 10 years as my primary deer harvester(along with some pretty amazing coyote thumpings) so I decided it was up to the task of sniping a cow elk in 2018.
The blind kids had made two satisfactory elk kills a few years back with slightly reduced loads using 115 Partitions and I already had a supply of 115 grain Nosler Partition Federal factory loads so I had confidence it would work. Results were quite good.
My shot hit just above the heart and if the guide hadn't pushed the cow too quickly, she'd have died where she fell after a 50 yard run. He jumped her and I put another raking shot in that gave a full 30" of penetration putting her down for good. As it turned out, she couldn't have gone far anyway but I won't waste a whole animal for the sake of 5# of burger.
After my hunting partner shot his .308 dry and didn't have extra ammo handy, I handed him my 25/06 and he put a Nosler through the lungs just catching a bit of the back edge of the shoulders on both sides on his elk. Literally a 10 step run and she toppled over. At 354 yards, there was a 1" entrance and 1 1/2" exit in the ribcage-hit ribs in and out which contributed to the tissue damage.
I'm impressed even though I already had a good idea of how it would work.
Would I take the 25/06 to the "dog hair" timber after a big Montana bull? Probably not but then, I doubt I'll EVER hunt that way again. My 25/06 was the only "sub-7mm" in camp and the only other "non-magnum" was the 7mm08 the 15 year old was using and the 25 was the only round that had a one-shot kill.
I still have some of the Federal loads and even dug up 3 boxes of Trophy Bonded Bearclaw factory loads from the bottom of the ammo locker. The 25/06 is going back to NM in 2019 for sure but I'm changing up my .308 back-up rifle--maybe take my spare 25/06.

gunzo

Hunter
I'm a big fan of both the 25-06 & the Nosler partition having seen each one perform separately & as a duo. A great combo.

Enjoy that great meat.

rangerbob

Buckeye
My experience with the 25-06 is that it kills whitetails like a lighting bolt from Thor using the now discontinued 120 gr. Hornady HP bullet over 55 gr of IMR7828. Bob!! :D

sixshot

Buckeye
Mobuck, you are very well armed when shooting a 25/06 with good bullets. I used one many times over the years including elk & never had a problem whether it was cows or bulls. If more people used one instead of the heavy recoiling magnums there would be less tracking of wounded elk.
The late, great Bill Jordan was a big 25/06 fan & wrote about it often, he took quite a bit of game with it here & in Africa.

Dick

25/06 is a caliber I always wanted to try out sadly something else always lead me astray.
Hopefully I'll get around to it shortly. Thanks for your experiences. I think it would make a great Whitetail and coyote rifle. ps

" I think it would make a great Whitetail and coyote rifle. ps"

It is definitely that although a bit much for normal ranges (under 300 yards) on yoties and don't expect to save the pelt at most any range. I've killed some big MidWest bucks at 40-400 yards but the performance on 500+# elk was enlightening.
My spare 25/06 is still in factory original condition so I'm considering adding a Rifle Basix trigger ($84 @ EABCO)but retaining the 22" barrel unless Tom decides he wants a mate to mine. In that case, I'll donate an action and he can add the 24" barrel and trigger and I'll borrow it.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
The 25-06 is a great all around cartridge! Got a few myself.

I don't believe they are tough on coyotes though. I've never had one tore up from one. I shoot 90 grain Sierra hollow points for coyote. I've seen the 22-250 do way more damage at all ranges vs the 25. I've even taken a coyote at 80 yards , chest shot , and no exit or pelt damage. I've done that with a 22-250 and you could shoot basketballs through the hole it left!

Johnnu2

Hunter
I've got a Browning B-78 in 25-06 with a heavy barrel and wood that's so beautiful it brings a tear to the eye of the beholder.... Shoots exceptionally well... was gonna use if for 'chucks but couldn't because it's too pretty to put in the field :-(((
J