picking up range brass

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Everytime I go shooting I pick up range brass. The range doesn't care...usually I'm the only one shooting anyway. Two weekends ago I was out, and there must have been a competition in 9mm. I spent more time picking up brass than shooting. Anyway, I finally got through de-priming and cleaning the cases.

It's all mixed case heads, but that's ok with me. It's just for plinking anyway.
hK8pTWml.jpg

UMuLx4Yl.jpg

I collected just under 3 gallons worth of 9mm cases! :D

Johnnu2

Hunter
I'm convinced that picking up range brass is an addiction; I know it's not genetic, because neither of my parents were gun people. But me, way before I was a teen, I would wander down to the local police "range" (outdoor) and they would let me have some (.38 Spl) brass and even some squashed lead slugs. I thought that was a treasured stash (my parents would have crapped if they knew). Of course, I could say that now, at my advanced age, my need to pickup range brass is because I reload; but if the truth is told, that is NOT the case. I have more brass in every caliber than I could possibly shoot in what's left of my lifetime, yet, the urge overtakes me and I actually have to fight it off rather than bring more of the shiny treasures into my tiny reloading room. When I gave my hunting rifle to my cousin's kids, I had a 5 gal bucket of 30-06 brass that I gave back to the range for others to grab (and it was gone before a half hour went by.... I guess there are others afflicted like us)... :)))
J

Flyover_Country

Bearcat
Nobody at the range ever shoots anything I do. Pretty much all empties are .22 rimfire, 9 mm, .223, and 7.62x39, mostly in steel cases. There are a few of those in brass, and a few empties in .380 ACP, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 7.62x54R, and a few .410 hulls. I shoot 12 gauge, 20 gauge, .30-06 and .44 Magnum/.44 Special, and I have never seen anything in those chamberings as empties. The closest I found were a few .357 Magnum aluminum cases, 20 .308 brass empties, and a single .270 case. Shotguns are forbidden at my range so that explains few shotgun hulls (suspect the .410s came from Judges.)

When I shoot, I am typically the only one there with a "traditional" firearm and cartridge. Most shoot 9 mms from semi-auto pistols and .223s from ARs and just spray bullets in the general direction of the backstop. Anybody shooting a firearm and actually hitting the target is unusual.

Last weekend I was shooting my .44 SRH at the 25 yard bench and then an overweight guy in his 40s with a copstache dressed in digital camo quasi-BDUs with a body armor vest with a dozen magazine pouches and a big water bottle toddled over and was trying to teach a pudgy, black-dyed-hair woman of about his same age dressed in a similar but all-black getup "tactical shooting." The lady couldn't even shoulder the AR-15 due to her bulky getup, and when she did get it shouldered, she couldn't even keep half of her shots on the 2' x 1' paper targets. That's if she remembered to pull back the charge handle to chamber a round and didn't have a mis-feed, of which there were a lot. Her favorite word was obviously the F word as she said it a lot. She and copstache then moved up to about 10 yards from the target to shoot one of the Glocks he had, and I followed them to shoot at the same distance so I could keep shooting, safely. She shot a 17 round magazine and had two hits on the paper while I kept an entire cylinder in the 3" bull. Copstache shot two shots about 10" apart and then his Glock had a failure to eject. I reloaded, popped a few more into the bull, and laughed to myself when he talked about how important it was to use a semi-auto to deliver the most lead downrange the quickest despite the failures to chamber and eject. Copstache then mentioned, oh, we're not at 7 yards, we're at 10 yards, that's why you missed. She shot an entire magazine and kept about 5 on the paper, and then they went back to the bench. He shot a group with the scoped AR that was no better than my group with the SRH, and then she proceeded to miss with an entire magazine. He then saw that I was shooting the SRH as well as he was shooting his AR, he sprayed the Glock from 25 yards and landed only one hit on the paper. I was shooting light target loads of 7.5 gr Universal pushing a 240 grain SWC which is about as loud as a 9 mm. At the end just for fun I shot a couple cylinders of cartridges loaded up with a full load of 2400 as my revolver shoots that combination very, very well (and loudly with a bunch of muzzle flash) and one of the groups was as good of a group as I'd ever shot and much better than anything the guy had shot with his scoped AR. Dyed hair and copstache certainly took notice of that and copstache said, "well, criminals can't shoot anywhere near that well so you should be safe." :mrgreen:

I had much the same reaction when I was working up a .30-06 load for deer hunting. I have a blued-and-walnut bolt M70 with a Leupold 3-9x40 and was shooting from the 100 yard bench and the guy next to me was shooting a .308 AR-10 with a giant scope and a tripod. AR-10 guy shot half a box through his rifle and shot a shotgun pattern. I was shooting with my elbows resting on the bench and shot about a 1 1/2" 5 shot group with IMR 4895 and a 150 grain Hornady Interlock. AR-10 guy looked over and wondered what I was shooting, was that a Creedmoor or some target rifle? I told him it was an '06. An '06? But that's a grandpa gun! I reminded him that the '06 won two World Wars, and for good reason. :mrgreen:

Johnnu2: Yes, I couldn't stop picking up these 9mm cases. Finally my legs got wobbly and I just had to stop. It's an outdoor range and the weather was nice. Man I was sore the next say though.

Most of the brass I pick up I safe for recycling, and just a pound or two each time I go shooting.

32magfan

Blackhawk
My Dad was a very frugal man who hated to waste anything. He reloaded early on because the idea of paying 40-50 cents per round of 243 Winchester was atrocious. He also had a 8mm Mauser and a 45-70 Trapdoor to feed.
In 1983, he bought me a .243 Remington 700. Then in 1984, he bought two Ruger Single Actions: a Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum and a Single Six in 32H&R. Now the real fun started!!! 32Mags were hard to come by as were bullets until I discovered Midway. 44Mags were pricey. Both begged to be reloaded and to cast bullets for them. Fast forward through all the additional guns and calibers and we cast bullets and loaded for guns in 32S&W Long, 32H&R, 327 Fed, 32-20, 9mm, 38 Super, 38Spl, .357Mag, 40S&W, 10mm, 41Mag, 44Spl, 44Mag, 45ACP and 45Colt. Rifle rounds also included 7WSM, 30-30, 30-06, 300Win Mag and 35Rem.

I always pick up range brass (if it is allowed). Funny thing is how we ended up loading 40S&W. I picked up 3,000 or so and gave them to Dad knowing the temptation would be too great. Sure enough, he soon bought two Taurus PT101's. Of course, he gave one to me :mrgreen: Even if the brass I get is not good, it can always go to the scrap metal recycling place for cash as can spent primers.

When the ammo crunch was still going during the Obummer Administration, most any brass was bringing $50 per thousand. That's a Nickle per piece. Who in their right mind would walk away and leave nickels all over the ground?? Not me..

Oh, and if I didn't load that flavor (not many of those), I always had it for trade bait or to give to someone getting started in reloading. Pop is gone now but part of him still lives on in the guns and the reloading hobby he started me on.

32Magfan

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
The range I shoot at is usually well gleaned anytime I shoot. I do find a few random cases but not very many. I think the members just take their empty brass home with them.

32magfan:
That's s nice story about how you got into reloading.

At my range the sherrif's offices from the surrounding towns often come out to practice. I can't say for sure, but it's my opinion they don't care about saving empty brass. From what I've seen at least.

mikld

Blackhawk
When I started reloading I saw dimes on the ground just waiting for me to pick them up...

grobin

Blackhawk
I shoot at two different ranges an used to get range brass from one of the clubs. I no longer consider reloading any brass I don't shoot after a number of problems with range brass including a bunch of too long 9mm that gave me fits. No it wasn't 9mm mag. I've had two cases separate on me one 9mm one 38 special. The extra work of messing with range brass is not worth it to me. However I do make sure to get what I shoot and the https://www.midwayusa.com/product/525094/caldwell-brass-retriever-with-roll-cage-separator-aluminum Brass Retriever is worth the money. Also I simply don't see brass of use to me other than 9mm and 38.

Flyover_Country

Bearcat
Luckyducker said:
The range I shoot at is usually well gleaned anytime I shoot. I do find a few random cases but not very many. I think the members just take their empty brass home with them.

This is exactly what I do, and in shooting pump shotguns, a revolver, and a bolt-action rifle, it's easy to do compared to those who shoot semi-autos that spray empties everywhere. I have yet to see another .44 Special or Magnum case, or a .30-06 empty and I've shot at ranges for many years. I load my own, shoot them, and then take home all of my empties.

I started reloading shotguns when I started shooting a lot and paying $4/box for factory ammunition was expensive. I started reloading for the .44 right after I bought it and saw that factory ammunition was about a buck a round which was silly. I'd been reloading shotguns for years at that time and figured dumping shotgun powder into a revolver case isn't that much different than dumping it into a shotgun hull. I was very correct about that.

The indoor range closest to me does not allow picking up range brass. They even have a sign on the front door saying something like "Do not even think of bringing your own ammo into the range. All ammo used here must be purchased here." That's the last time I approached that business.

Yeah, there is an indoor range around here that wants to see your ammo before you enter the range.

I went there several years ago for the first time and when they asked to see my ammunition I got a little confused. When i told them I was only shooting .22's, they said they didn't need to see it. I did stay to shoot but never went back.

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
I have to wonder how good the "HEARING PROTECTION" is that those folks are using. My hands shake badly sometimes and that doesn't help any. BUT I all ways try to to shoot the center out. Getting it done is becoming more of a problem. Spraying may be O.K. for red wasps thought....! But i use Raid for that..

grobin

Blackhawk
I shoot at a couple of clubs with outdoor ranges and one indoor range. The indoor range I use encourages you to use their ammo, but they discourage picking up brass. They don't allow brass catchers and count time so that picking up brass costs extra. But if you use a revolver you are fine. BTW they keep all the brass pretty well policed.

CW4USARET

Bearcat
Being retired/retired I usually go to the local range during the week to shoot and harvest what cases others leave behind. If you go to the following website, http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/?page=headstampcodes you will find an extensive list of head stamp codes for cases from all over the world. I have found .44 mag cases made in Italy and South Korea which makes you go hmmm! In Italy the largest caliber firearm that you can own is 9mm and in South Korea I'm not certain if you can own a handgun especially one in .44 mag. Just another twist to "picking up range brass".

jrf

mikld

Blackhawk
steveodtw said:
The indoor range closest to me does not allow picking up range brass. They even have a sign on the front door saying something like "Do not even think of bringing your own ammo into the range. All ammo used here must be purchased here." That's the last time I approached that business.
Yep, there was a range like that in LA. I got through the front door, showed my guns and ammo. "Can't use these" pointing to my ammo, in plastic boxes. Packed up and left, never popped a primer. Another really nice range, near LAX just wants to see what you're shooting, no restrictions...

The ranges around So. LA county had a lot of younger shooters during the weekend (20s-30s) in the '80s-'90s and the range could get away with excessive "regulations". The new shooters didn't know any better, and few reloaded. Old timers told them to shove it...

Latest posts