Easy accurate way to determine 60 and 100% of powdr in case

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grobin

Blackhawk
I'm finally getting to workup some loads with TrailBoss. I'm thinking of drlling out the primer hole to enlarege, it then seating a bullet to COL filling the case with powder and getting the weight. Sound OK?

grobin

Blackhawk
Trail Boss loads start at 60% of case capacity and maximize at 100%. So what's the case capacity? Realize that you must allow for a properly seated bullet.

Just fill the case to what ever you want, hold a bullet you plan to load next to the case, hold it as it would be seated, look at the depth the bullet needs or you want to seat. Seat the bullet, if still in doubt if it is at full capacity shake it and listen and feel for powder movement.
All kinds of weird ways guys load. I had a friend who filled the 3006 case with 4831 without checking weight. Pushed the bullet down into it and shot them that way for years.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Yeah, I guess that would work. Me, I just lookin in the case and guesstimate. Usually cross reference it against a manual for known loads.

Rclark

Hunter
maximize at 100%
Ummmm. That max is 'under' the bullet -- NOT to the case mouth. And don't compress it. As above finding the max is as kmoore states. No need to get fancy. Actually the 'manual' has the normal range for .45 Colt anyway :) . Might start there! Oh and as for minimum, when the bullet sticks in the barrel, you've gone to low. I've went lower than the manual minimum when doing fire-lapping, but you would just normally use the manual minimum. Trail Boss makes a good fire-lapping powder.

Cholo

Staff member
gramps said:
What is wrong with using what a manual says is safe?
gramps
Depends on the cartridge. The .32 Mag. can be safely loaded quite a bit hotter than any manual that I've ever read. It does pay to be cautious, though.

grobin

Blackhawk
Cholo said:
gramps said:
What is wrong with using what a manual says is safe?
gramps
Depends on the cartridge. The .32 Mag. can be safely loaded quite a bit hotter than any manual that I've ever read. It does pay to be cautious, though.
Well not a durned thing just no loads for 10mm!

JFB

Hunter
I understand your objective and agree with your plan.
Glad you mentioned the case in question.

I have not reloaded in decades, but got a jar of trailboss with intentions of trying some large rifle cases.

back to your plan, the possible "problem" I see getting VERY accurate measurement will be putting powder through the small hole and then about its settling to fill the case.
Using water to fill the case through enlarged primer hole with a bullet seated would give VERY exact measurement of 100% case volume for YOUR cases and loading.
then you can get your exact 60% for starting trailboss loading.

For my intented trailboss loading of large rifle (first being 30-06), I was able to find online case volume for "loaded", and done all the math to get back to the Lee scoops to get my starting and max loadings. the scoops supplied with my classic lee loaders look like will provide just the right amount of trailboss too.

when I actually get around to putting rounds together and shotting a couple over the sky screens I was going to post my notes

IF your 10mm bullets are flat based, how about figuring out the depth into a case and then cut a case to make a scoop?

Clovishound

Blackhawk
JFB said:
I understand your objective and agree with your plan.
Glad you mentioned the case in question.

I have not reloaded in decades, but got a jar of trailboss with intentions of trying some large rifle cases.

back to your plan, the possible "problem" I see getting VERY accurate measurement will be putting powder through the small hole and then about its settling to fill the case.
Using water to fill the case through enlarged primer hole with a bullet seated would give VERY exact measurement of 100% case volume for YOUR cases and loading.
then you can get your exact 60% for starting trailboss loading.

For my intented trailboss loading of large rifle (first being 30-06), I was able to find online case volume for "loaded", and done all the math to get back to the Lee scoops to get my starting and max loadings. the scoops supplied with my classic lee loaders look like will provide just the right amount of trailboss too.

when I actually get around to putting rounds together and shotting a couple over the sky screens I was going to post my notes

IF your 10mm bullets are flat based, how about figuring out the depth into a case and then cut a case to make a scoop?

Or you could have spent 20 seconds on the Hodgdon website to find out that for a 150 grain Nosler BT you start with 13.3 gr and max at 19.0 for the 30-06.

I have heard about the roll your own data for Trail Boss, but I have yet to see it in print, other than mentions on internet forums. Not saying it doesn't exist, just never seen it. I hope it makes clear you can only use this for bottleneck rifle cases. I can put several times the max load listed for Trail Boss in a .38 spcl case under a cast wadcutter.

Safety when reloading is what should concern you the most. I use a powder thrower
then dump the powder onto my scale I add or deduct, weigh ever load. Visually gauging powder in a case Is Risky Business! Just my opinion as usual. Whats your hurry? ps

JFB

Hunter
Clovishound said:

Or you could have spent 20 seconds on the Hodgdon website...

It took me a little longer than 20 seconds, but I got side tracked while on their site reading other info.

So using my case volumes, those recomended loads worked out to be 65 and 91%. and the 30-06 Lee Loader supplied 3.7cc scoop put me in the middle at 82%.

Using multiple methods and arriving at the same recomendation is nice. Now hoping for time to open the jar of TB and whack out a few rounds :(

grobin

Blackhawk
Clovishound
The idea of using water is OK, but what is the density of trailboss? I see that you got a good approximation from the Lee scoops, thanks!
A possible alternate approach would be to take the water volume is a cartridge with a given max grains. Then use the ratio of the two water volumes to calculate the max grains for the target cartridge?

As for data I don't see any for 10mm and trailboss!
The volume/% method was from the Hodgdon web site, I can't find it now though. They keep messing about with the site.

JFB

Hunter
Grains of water to cc's, multiply by 0.065
Grains of Trail Boss to cc's, multiply by 0.2172

example,
my case held 69 grains water. 69 X 0.065 = 4.5cc
Hodgens recomended 19.0 grains of trailboss. 19 X 0.2172 = 4.1cc
4.1 / 4.5 = 91%

grobin

Blackhawk
Thanks, that saves me some futzing around. When I get a chance I'll try all 3 methods and see how they compare and post the load results.